Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Speaking of defending your BB 3 handed with suited trash.

Buddy, you have to stop making these plays. You got lucky this time, but you need to stop. BTW, how many tables you play, whats your winrate, how many hands etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buddy, you have to stop making these plays. You got lucky this time, but you need to stop. BTW, how many tables you play, whats your winrate, how many hands etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I know. I made it clear in the other thread that if these sorts of pre-flop calls are profitable at all, it is just barely, and that I don't think you lose much by folding them.

If anything, I don't defend my blinds enough by most people's standards.

But if you feel like experimenting, you have to admit, this is a pretty cheap situation to try it. You have to be either in your BB or a completed SB, with suited junk, and it's raised, and the pot is exactly 3 or 4 handed. It can't be the biggest leak in the world.

I 8 table $2-$4 these days. My bread and butter was 8-tabling $3-$6 before the advent of the 6-maxes killed those games on Party. My win rate fluctuates between 2 and 2.5BB/100. I have 60,000 hands in my current database (my original DB was lost). For most of my database I was pretty tight, 15-8. But I'm trying to target something more like (17-18)-(10-11) or thereabouts.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Given your reads - your flop check-call isn't good. You should bet here majority of time to make troubles to your aggro opponent and get your value from UTG's probable high cards (or find out that he's on overpair as quick as possible to muck this hand on turn).

And attention: you should muck this hand preflop! (Even if you play postflop perfectly).

2 reasons for it:

1. Raiser has UTG position. Probability for him to have big pair is very high for your tiny flopped pairs. Increased implyed odds that gives you your aggro-guy not really compensate it too far.

2. It's 2/4 game. Rake is big. That forces you to complete in SB or call in BB somewhat lesser than in 15/30 or 30/60.
Of course people here play worse and you get more implyed value. But the other reason is also important - people also fold less here too. Assuming these 2 factors nearly compensate each other leading us to defend less because of rake.

I once posted my investigations in mid-high forum. This topic becomes quite popular around 2+2 limit forums and see many quotes and links every week. Please note in future that defending with weak suited hands 3-way is marginal and isn't well in my opinion for games below 10/20. First reason is rake, second reason - preflop raiser at these limits far more tighter than in higher games.

If i played 2/4 i would defend suited 1-gappers+, Jxs+. No more.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Thank you very much Peter. I think this is all the experimenting in junk suited defense I'm going to try.