Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Trapping w/ Middle Set (Good or Bad?)

Been playing for a couple hours. MP1 is aggressive and loose, MP2 is also very loose but leans more toward the calling side unless you give up the lead.

UltimateBet 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
3 folds, MP1 raises to $4, MP2 calls, 3 folds, SB folds
Hero calls.

Flop: (6.5 SB) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises, MP1 re-raises, MP2 calls, Hero caps, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (16.75 BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP2 mucks.

MP1 had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], MP2 probably had the spade draw.

I knew MP1 was going to be betting if he had anything. This is why I decided to trap on the flop and C/R the turn.

Was it too dangerous to play it this way with the flush draw? I think it ended up being a pretty profitable way to play it. Thoughts anyone?

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Trapping w/ Middle Set (Good or Bad?)

OH MAN - are you going to catch hell LOL.

As I have learned - it's a very bad thing. When you have the hand - do not slow play it (how and I doing Crunchy1 LOL)
Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 AM

i think this line is ok since you don't have many opponents. you can't get a flush draw to fold anyway. the problem is, that a check raise on the turn often kills the action. i would play it straight forward most of the time and trap on accasion.

and don't get too far with the idea to slow play sets and other big hands, especially don't slow play against many opponents or in big pots.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(how am I doing Crunchy1 LOL)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not so good. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] This seems like a great time to wait for a safe card on the turn to raise.

This is a pretty standard hand IMO.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 AM

Yeah I think this was a good spot to use it. I wanted to ask though because I am a NL player and just now making the adjustment to limit. It's the only hand I had all night that I slowplayed.

The influencing factors were MP1 (who will play the hand aggressively throughout if he catches any piece of the flop) and the fact that it was a very tame board (the flush draw is the only worry.) As it was MP2 (if he was on the flush draw) paid dearly on the turn.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(how am I doing Crunchy1 LOL)

[/ QUOTE ]
Not so good. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] This seems like a great time to wait for a safe card on the turn to raise.

This is a pretty standard hand IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this at all! I can understand waiting to checkraise the turn if MP1 is likely to keep betting (to get more money in the pot), but I don't see what a safe card has to do with it. Hero is holding middle set, even if there's a flush draw out he's getting most of the equity from flop raises. Even if the third spade hits hero still might hold the best hand, or might fill on the river.

In summary, you might wait for the turn to get the bigger bets in, but I don't see how a safe turn card should be a part of hero's thinking here.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Well if the spade fell on the turn and then I checked and it went:

MP1 bets, MP2 raises,

Then I might have to re-consider my game plan. That would be a tough spot. Considering how weak I had played it to that point, I'd probably have to call. That's the risk with these types of plays.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding would be god aweful no matter how you played it.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:29 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

the flop line with the flush draw out there is actually a good way to lose less if the 3rd spade comes. then you push the advantage on the big streets when you are more of a favorite.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the flop line with the flush draw out there is actually a good way to lose less if the 3rd spade comes. then you push the advantage on the big streets when you are more of a favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Board: Kd 9s 3s
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 01.3289 % [ 00.01 00.00 ] { AdKh }
Hand 2: 27.1318 % [ 00.27 00.00 ] { AsQs }
Hand 3: 71.5393 % [ 00.72 00.00 ] { 9d9c }

Board: Kd 9s 3s 5h
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 00.0000 % [ 00.00 00.00 ] { AdKh }
Hand 2: 16.6667 % [ 00.17 00.00 ] { AsQs }
Hand 3: 83.3333 % [ 00.83 00.00 ] { 9d9c }

I really don't like it. I check/raise the flop. Your edge isn't really drastically improved by the turn anyway...it's already HUGE! It's quite likely that the PFR could check on the turn and the flush draw would be all too happy to take the free turn. Get aggressive on the flop and get your money. Even if that spade falls on the turn, you have a huge redraw.

YUCK!