Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 04:53 AM

Default FT Very Big Stack Hand

Button (t933516)
SB (t408192)
BB (t5056627)
UTG (t2242877)
MP (t290288)

3000 ante, 30k/60k blinds

UTG folds, MP pushes for 220k more. Folds to BB.

What do you acll w/ from the BB?

Notice you have moer than half the chips at the table, and you're getting 1.5:1 odds.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: FT Very Big Stack Hand

call with any pair, A10 or better. No reason to call with any worse as it seems like chip bleeding.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 AM

I call with 72o [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call with any pair, A10 or better. No reason to call with any worse as it seems like chip bleeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all for the Gap concept and everything, but dude, that's insane.

I'm not going to answer the question directly, because doing math at 2a.m. would suck. But with no reads (although by the FT, I'd probably have one), I put his pushing range on about Ax+, K8+, Q10+, 22+. As long as I'm 1 chip ahead the pot against that range, I'm calling.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 AM

presuming you're putting a lot of pressure on the blinds, meaning you can steal back chips lost easily, any two cards. send out a message that you're not bothered about gambling to get rid of people. if you get two walks from people being scared of you calling them its paid for itself that way as well.

if you want a +CEV answer, it depends if MP has turned down other opportunities to open push on the button and SB. if this is his first chance in a while to push, then i expect his range to be very wide, and call with any pair, ace, king, suited queen and offsuit down to Q9, and suited connectors and semi connectors down to 65. but if hes blinded himself down to this, turning down his pushing opportunities then 55+, AT+, KJ+ is probably what id call with.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 AM

dude, no offense, but why do you have to do math. What if your at this final table at 2:00 Am, how have you not thought about this situation before. Are you insane?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:12 AM

Well, when you do analysis of a situation like this, you ahve time to do the math, so you'll have a better idea of what to do when the situation actually happens.

I'm going to get around to doing some math on this, just wanted to see what people think first.

I like the idea of calling any 2, it can be a bit -cEV (i'll see how much in a bit) but the image you gain, the walks you might get, and the calls you'll get on your pushes (not sure if this is good or bad yet)
Old 10-13-2005, 06:29 AM

I might actually call with any two cards, theres a lot of mileage in him doubling up for you, also if you happen to win thats okay too.

Boring answer - give him a range and call with anything with 35% or more equity against that range.

Mack
Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call with 72o [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
*snicker*

I guess you know my answer to this question.
Rekwob has the right idea.
I actually took the idea from HOH2-- the 10-to-1 rule. With so many of the chips, I can afford to take the worst of it against a really short stack. Even a double-up wouldn't hurt, leaving villain with still less than 1/10 of my stack. Eventually, one of those times I'm going to hit and bust him-- which means I get all those chips back, plus, every person busted at the final table is a huge jump in payout.

(Or, OK, every time I made a call like that at the 11r I hit, but still...)
Old 10-13-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, no offense, but why do you have to do math. What if your at this final table at 2:00 Am, how have you not thought about this situation before. Are you insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what exactly the point to your post is, but if you tell me not to find it offensive, I guess I won't. And no, I'm pretty sure I'm not insane. For future reference, using proper punctuation and avoiding name-calling will probably make you look like less of a douche. You were probably just offendid that I considered your range too narrow, but I'm not sure why that led to you making fun of me for doing math...

Of course I've thought about (and been in) many situations like this. But the OP asked for a specific range. And I need math to determine that range for this specific situation.

I've thought about this hand a bit more, and I think the guy who said call with any two if the table is tight is on the right track. The last thing I want to do as bigstack is let people think they can push me off my blinds. Calling with 94o here would certainly send a powerful message. If that message gives me just a couple extra walks during the course of the tournament, then the hand was a freeroll.