Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Comments on a hand:

I'm looking for some feedback on this hand, did I play it right?

Setting: $50NL full 10-handed table at pacificpoker.

I'm on the button and get KJ of hearts. A few limpers and then a limit raise by the cutoff seat. I call as does most. Flop comes: AQ6 all hearts. So I flop the nut flush. This is where I'm starting to wonder if I played it bad.

Everyone checks it around to the cutoff who bets the minimum (limit?). I'm kinda chocked at that but figure I don't want to tell the world I have a flush just yet. So I just call. A few other guys also call. The turn is rags and this time the cutoff raises a good portion of the pot. I do consider just calling again but I'm affraid that the guy has made a set and is awaiting a paired board so I decide to put the pressure on him. I raise him all in, which is a little bit more than the pot right now.

He thinks for a while and then calls, showing AQ off suite. The river brings a second Q and he makes his four outer and takes my stack.

So, comments on how I played it please...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Comments on a hand:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some feedback on this hand, did I play it right?

Setting: $50NL full 10-handed table at pacificpoker.

I'm on the button and get KJ of hearts. A few limpers and then a limit raise by the cutoff seat. I call as does most. Flop comes: AQ6 all hearts. So I flop the nut flush. This is where I'm starting to wonder if I played it bad.

Everyone checks it around to the cutoff who bets the minimum (limit?). I'm kinda chocked at that but figure I don't want to tell the world I have a flush just yet. So I just call. A few other guys also call. The turn is rags and this time the cutoff raises a good portion of the pot. I do consider just calling again but I'm affraid that the guy has made a set and is awaiting a paired board so I decide to put the pressure on him. I raise him all in, which is a little bit more than the pot right now.

He thinks for a while and then calls, showing AQ off suite. The river brings a second Q and he makes his four outer and takes my stack.

So, comments on how I played it please...

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I don't play KJs in a raised pot. This is because it's a trap hand (J high flop AJ outkicks you and you potentially loose a fair amount, K high flop AK and KQ outkick you).

But since it is a family pot and is likely to remain so (limpers will almost always call a min raise) and you have position your in a nice spot. The danger comes when you pair a card.

I like the way you played it post flop. I would not raise the flop, especially since cutoff bet. Putting a raise in then makes the ep limpers face cold calling a bet and raise, as well as a possible reraise by cutoff. This is how I would have played it.

On the turn you have to weigh the likelyhood of the ep players calling vs. going heads up. I don't know about the various EV but having the nut flush you want as much money in the pot as possible. If you thought that ep players would also call if you just called that is what I would have done. I think they almost always fold to a pot size bet on the turn so it's best to raise here. All in is the right play as you don't have much left.

On the turn the vilian is afraid of a flush draw so he bets bigger. Your move is all in. I believe your the favorite against a set here. You lost this hand, that's the way it goes. You will not win in this situation 100% of the time. You will win the majority of the time. It's important to remember that. Your play makes you money.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:32 AM

You put your money in when you were a 10-to-1 favorite. You can't do much better. http://twodimes.net/h/?z=923108 Just because he sucked out on you doesn't mean you should start second-guessing. You "deserve" to win this only 9 out of 10 times, not 10 out of 10, and you can't afford to lose sleep and/or hair when the tenth time comes around. Until you internalize this concept, you'll be stuck in the development of your poker abilities.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 AM

i would tend to raise the flop, but my image would make it look like i'm trying to steal from a weak table on a scary board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 AM

I play it the same on all streets.

KoW
Old 04-28-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 04-28-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You put your money in when you were a 10-to-1 favorite. You can't do much better. http://twodimes.net/h/?z=923108 Just because he sucked out on you doesn't mean you should start second-guessing. You "deserve" to win this only 9 out of 10 times, not 10 out of 10, and you can't afford to lose sleep and/or hair when the tenth time comes around. Until you internalize this concept, you'll be stuck in the development of your poker abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post Zag. I think people always expect that the slim minorities will never happen. Playing within your bankroll and not tilting will negate the effects of these "beats".

-Trail