Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 04:37 PM

Default big slick/AQ flops top pair....how often can you sniff out that set?

so a couple of times recently my tourney has ended with AQ or AK when I flop top pair (rainbow suits) and someone raises me all in with bottom set. I feel it's impossible not to lose in this situation late in the tourney....you ever make this laydown?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: big slick/AQ flops top pair....how often can you sniff out that set?

way too general. of course i've made this laydown before, but the later it gets, the shallower the stacks, the better reads you have on your opponents, the more these type of hands tend to play themselves.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: big slick/AQ flops top pair....how often can you sniff out that se

I'm talking less than 10x the bb, you are first to act, say you bet the pot and the other guy comes over the top all in. He has you covered. You have little to no info on this guy.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:55 PM

If you have less than 10x the big blind, then ya, it's going to be IMPOSSIBLE to get away from in my opinion.

The only time it's really possible for me is if I'm going up against a fellow large stack, with lots of room for battle. Then it's possible to lay down that top pair sometimes.

Brad
Old 04-26-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking less than 10x the bb

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually not one for generalizations, but there is no folding if you flop TPTK in this situation. Never.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:36 PM

I dunno I think I could see someone folding depending on the chip stacks. Obviously if your short stacked you don't have alot of actions. Depends what the flop looks like and the action pre flop I guess. I think here if he moves straight in on you, with no draw on the flop... and he has you covered... Kinda looks really suspicious. I mean I cant think he'd make this move with the King, would think he'd try to slow down bc he can't know he has the best hand.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 PM

In my experience being check min-raised after flopping TPTK, especially when you hit the Ace, is usually big trouble. A good example from a friend's bustout hand in the Bahamas:

With blinds at 200/400 a50 and a 12k stack, which is slightly below avg with about 45 minutes of play left in day 1. Hero looks down and sees AhKh, then raises to 1400. All fold to the SB (tightish player, has Hero barely covered) who calls. Flop comes As9d3c. SB checks, Hero bets 2.5k into 3600 chip pot. SB minraises. Hero shoves his chips in and is beaten into the pot by the SB's set of 9's. HGHN.

I'm sure I go broke on this hand as well, made all the worse by knowing that I'm probably drawing dead to two miracles even before I push my chips in. How often must SB have a set and not AQ to justify even considering a lay down in this situation?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:28 PM

here's a hand from a recent tourney report of mine. I had a pretty large stack at the time..maybe around 5 or 6k.

A few rounds later, I am on the cutoff w/ AhKh.
Tight player raises from MP to t300. I look left, and the button/blinds look uninterested, so I call. Only BB calls.
Pot = 950.
MP has about 2500. I can’t remember him raising preflop all day. He has won only one or two pots by flopping a set v. top pair all in on the flop. I haven’t played with him before.
BB likes to call preflop.

Flop is Ks Jd 6h
SB checks, MP checks, I bet 600, sb folds, MP pushes for another 1600.
I’m getting (950+600+2200) 3750:1600. About 2.25:1 on my call.
But I get this feeling. Now the regulars on here know that I’m not one to play by feel, I’m more of a math guy, but I really couldn’t see a hand here that he does this with against me. I still have a solid image. He hasn’t been out of line all day. I don’t think he’s the type to play KQ like that. He played his set fast last time, so I’m not discounting KK, although unlikely. I have his squarely on AA or JJ with a possibility of AK.
With the blinds going up, I really want to keep my chip lead, and my stack is still in tact going into the first break if I fold, so I fold.
He shows AA and I jump for joy. I call there most of the time, and I’m still not sure it was the right play, but it worked out that time.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:59 PM

If you raise preflop w/ AK or AQ and someone calls, you have to give them credit for either the same hand or a pair. If you give it some play on the flop and come back at you, or if you check it looking for a bet and they check behind...

Yes, I get away from these hands. Late in a tournament, when the blinds are so big that entire stacks are on the line, when that kind of money is on the line... It takes a spectacular read to put someone on a bluff. Putting someone a hand is easy.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you raise preflop w/ AK or AQ and someone calls, you have to give them credit for either the same hand or a pair. If you give it some play on the flop and come back at you, or if you check it looking for a bet and they check behind...

Yes, I get away from these hands. Late in a tournament, when the blinds are so big that entire stacks are on the line, when that kind of money is on the line... It takes a spectacular read to put someone on a bluff. Putting someone a hand is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is, once people see you lay down you'll get bluffed mercilessly.