Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 08:17 AM

Default AA vs KK first had of bar tourney

I think this is just a stupid question because i dont feel i played the hand wrong but one of my friends seems to think so. Last night i played in a tourney of champions thing at a local bar 35 people who have all won tourneys there in the past. Our table was short handed only 5 people sat there (the tourney didnt seem very organized people sat where they wanted.)
chip count 2k blinds 25/50
The very first hand i was SB and was delt KK its folded to the button who calls i raise to 175 BB is usually pretty loose of a player hoping for a call. He folds BB raises to 500. I have played with him 2 times before and i remember him doing this before with almost any good hand. So i decided im goin to push. Of course he calls and has AA.

My friends logic is i shold have just called and saw the flop and tried to keep the pot smaller and i may have been able to no go broke. I say no because i have no position and im going to be betting atleast 500 no matter what and if an A doesnt come on the flop im pushing on the turn or im pushing to any raise. The way the flop came i wouldnt have been able to get rid of my hand anyway since it was J 3 8. does anyone think i should have waited till later in the tourney or is it worth the risk to have a big stack.

P.S. the winner got a seat into a AC 320$ tourney.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: AA vs KK first had of bar tourney

with 40 BB you cant get away from KK against AA, so dont think about it
Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 AM

if you read HOH i like how he puts it... 1 in 30 something times when you have kings someone else at the table will have aces.. if you try and make folds with kings you're going end up folding more times that you're ahead, than when they actually have aces.. so just assume if you have kings and if they happen to have acecs oh well you're going broke and theres nothing you can do.You'll be better off than trying to make a great fold.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:19 AM

That was kinda what i was trying to tell my friend i guess thats why im better at poker then him. I dont feel wrong about my play and i still think i would do it almost everytime it came up. The only thing i keep thinking of is it was kinda weird how this all happend since the dude was the dealer and it was the first hand and i was SB and no one was really paying that close attention yet. There could be a small chance that this was a set up.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 AM

i would never fold KK in that situation at all.
there is another way of playing the hand that would have the same result here(cuz he has AA) but may have made a difference if he had somehting like AQ or AK (as you said you have seen him push before with any good hand).
if you just called his raise and not reraise him and wait for the flop and then push,he may decide to lay his hand down seen as he had missed the flop.
the advantage here is if you push preflop and he calls ,he can get to see the hand down to the river and gets 5 chances to draw an A on you rather than just 3.
but in this case you did nothing wrong.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:03 AM

Hopefully I'll beat the flamers to this and explain it nicely: you're very wrong to want to push AK/AQ out of the pot. You WANT to get all of your money in the pot with a 70% chance of doubling up. You are doing AK/AQ a HUGE favor by showing them the flop. If they hit the A, even if you get away from the hand, they win all the money that went in pre-flop. If they miss, they get away with stack intact.

If you get them to call your all-in pre-flop (which I don't think is as likely as you assume), you know for sure they are putting their money in as a big dog. If they suck out, dem's da breaks, but you played it correctly. If they would have folded pre-flop but you instead push them out on the flop, you are still doing them a favor, as you are making their fold more correct. Pre-flop, they fold with a 30% chance to win the hand. After the flop, they fold with a 12% chance to win, or they get to find out that they flopped their miracle card. The only good scenario for you is when the flop comes Q high against an AQ that would have folded pre-flop, or K high against AK (though that's unlikely since you have two K's).

Does this make sense?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully I'll beat the flamers to this and explain it nicely: you're very wrong to want to push AK/AQ out of the pot. You WANT to get all of your money in the pot with a 70% chance of doubling up. You are doing AK/AQ a HUGE favor by showing them the flop. If they hit the A, even if you get away from the hand, they win all the money that went in pre-flop. If they miss, they get away with stack intact.

If you get them to call your all-in pre-flop (which I don't think is as likely as you assume), you know for sure they are putting their money in as a big dog. If they suck out, dem's da breaks, but you played it correctly. If they would have folded pre-flop but you instead push them out on the flop, you are still doing them a favor, as you are making their fold more correct. Pre-flop, they fold with a 30% chance to win the hand. After the flop, they fold with a 12% chance to win, or they get to find out that they flopped their miracle card. The only good scenario for you is when the flop comes Q high against an AQ that would have folded pre-flop, or K high against AK (though that's unlikely since you have two K's).

Does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i started think about that later on after it was all said and done. This is probably the like i would have taken online but im still trying to get use to the live games and things are alot different personally tho i would have been happy to take the 500 chips that early in the tourney but 2k would have been better. I really didnt even have time to think about the hand while it was happening it all happend so fast i just sat down at the table and there the cards where then i was leaving the table all with in about 2 mins.