Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 09:54 AM

Default fire the third barrel?

No real reads on opponent here. I never reraise AQ out of the blinds..i'm assuming that's debatable but standard for me. I guess I shouldn't say never, i'll do it against perceived steals and hyper-aggro players, but not against unknowns which was the case here. This is about my second orbit at the table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($47.08)
BB ($25.70)
UTG ($39.05)
MP ($9.95)
Button ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.75</font>, Button calls $0.75, Hero (poster) calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls $3.

Turn: ($9.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, Button calls $9.

River: ($27.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.75</font>, Button calls $11.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $51.25

Should I check/call this river or do you think firing is standard. I bet because i wasn't folding to a bet and I didn't want a check behind...if he hit the flush so be it, I never gave him the odds to chase it. Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: fire the third barrel?

shameless bump, is this hand really that uninteresting?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 PM

Your post title implies that you think you're bluffing. Do you think this?

I like every street. I'd probably bet slightly less on the turn, but your PSB is fine, too.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 PM

Can't you check-fold this river? I know you're getting good pot odds but it seems the only hand you beat is KQ, and many people could have folded that on the turn. I think you see a straight (TJ) or a flush.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 PM

I think you see QJ or TT often enough to commit you to this pot. I can see check-call, but not check-fold.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't you check-fold this river? I know you're getting good pot odds but it seems the only hand you beat is KQ, and many people could have folded that on the turn. I think you see a straight (TJ) or a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not picking on you personally, but I think that this is yet another example of weak-tight play that is beginning to become commonplace on this forum.

First of all, if he had a straight, villian would have almost definitely moved in on the turn to knock out a flush draw.

Secondly, just because people at these levels play almost any two suited, it isn't necessarily true that every time the third flush card comes out that they have a made hand.

I can find a check-call here (NEVER a check-fold without a read), but I much prefer the way that OP played this hand. I think 90% of the time, you're winning (more often against KQ or QJ) or chopping (obviously less often). Even when you lose with this betting pattern, I think it's against 2 pair, like 89. If villian played a flush draw this way, oh well...put him on your buddy list because if he draws without odds, then you're going to make money off him more often than not.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:02 PM

Well played, if villian actually has you beat you'd expect him to come to life at some point. Any better made hands would need to protect themselves from draws, I would expect to see some type of midpair here most of the time or KQ. JMO
Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 PM

How can you check fold there? Villian could be calling with much worse hands than even KQ.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:59 PM

I think betting this river is far far better then check/calling. If you are going to call anyway then you should just be the one betting. The main draws got there so he can't be induced to bluff. By letting him decide to bet or not you let him check behind with all sorts of mediocre hands that will call but let him get the money in if he hit. Basically if the action goes check-bet-call your are more likely to be behind then if it goes bet-call.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 PM

I'm mostly a SnG player just getting back into ring games, but am I the only one that folds this preflop?