Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Default 5-5 in the small blind against donkish-LAG, good spot to Stop-n-Go?

2-table SnG, down to final table. Blinds 200/400.

Hand Start.
HERO (SB) has $3,020
BB has $7,620
UTG has $7,140
UTG+1 has $4,130
MP has $5,840
CO has $5,120
BTN has $3,130

HERO posted small blind ($200).
BB posted big blind ($400).
HERO has 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Stakes: 200/400 Current level: 6 Level up in: 7 min. Break in: 13 min. Players : 7

UTG called 400 and raised 400
UTG+1 folded.
MP folded.
CO folded.
BTN folded.
HERO (SB) called 600
BB called 400

Dealing flop.
Board cards [7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

HERO bet 2,220 and is All-in

UTG is a loose donk who has been both raising and calling with weak hands. A couple of hands earlier he called a big raise with A-6o and sucked out to win a huge pot.

His UTG mini-raise could be done with any A-x, K-x. The blinds were getting up so I decided to take a stand here, although if I just push pre-flop I have no FE and I'm mostly coin-flipping unless he has A-small (5 or lower). It's also possible he has a higher pair, but I took that risk. BB calling 400 more chips wasn't of any concern to me.

I decided ahead of time that I would open-push most flops (if it came A-K-10 obviously I wouldn't, or if I flopped a set I might try to trap UTG for more chips). This flop was very favorable for my purposes so I pushed. I would have loved to take down the pot right there, but if UTG called with 2 overs that's fine too, as I would be a big favorite to more than double up.

How's my line? Should I fold pre-flop and wait for a better spot? Keep in mind UTG was very loose in both raising and calling, so the chances of him having a higher pair was lower than normally.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: 5-5 in the small blind against donkish-LAG, good spot to Stop-n-Go?

Given your read and stack size, I think this OK.

If you fold, you are going to have to get all in in the next orbit anyway, and you might not see a better hand.

I would have pushed preflop even if I thought UTG wouldn't fold in order to get the big blind to fold and avoid having the flop hit him.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: 5-5 in the small blind against donkish-LAG, good spot to Stop-n-Go?

I decided not to push because if UTG had something like K-8, a weak holding but not a bad one against 5-5, I did not want him to see all 5 cards. By delaying the push until the flop I wanted to at least give him some chance to fold. Even though pushing pre-flop guaranteed doubling up if I did win, I thought winning the pot outright was more important, as the pot was already a big portion of my stack. If my pair was larger, say 8-8, I would push very quickly pre-flop against UTG, but with 5-5, I thought there were too few hands that I dominated.