Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Call this river?

Ok I don't have very many hands on this opponent but he has turn and river agression over 5. He has bet weird a lot of times. I suspect he isn't always doing this with premium hands. I checked the turn because I didn't want a big checkraise and also to set him up to bluff the river. I got what I asked for, do I call this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Hero ($48.20)
SB ($14.35)
BB ($43.85)
UTG ($64.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($9.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($9.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

Final Pot: $39.25
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Call this river?

I think you are at best chopping this pot...I don't see anything he can have on the flop that doesn't at least tie you, unless he just likes to bluff big on the river for no real reason...I have to fold this.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:09 AM

I really cant see him calling your flop bet with less than an A. I think he would probably lead out on flop with a PP. I'm folding this river. You only beat a bluff.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 AM

tricky spot, folding is weak but probably better than calling. Really player dependent though.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 AM

I understand not betting the turn for pot control, but I think a turn bet might get you the information you want (if he raises, you can fold). It's a tight spot, but your turn check makes it a toss up whether he's bluffing or has a hand.

Plus if he has something big he might try to checkraise the river if you bet the turn (check behind, of course). If he calls the turn and leads the river with a solid bet, you can happily consider yourself toast and check out.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he calls the turn and leads the river with a solid bet, you can happily consider yourself toast and check out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like fold river after he calls your turn bet since it's likely the other guy want to push you out of a split pot. These split situation is always tricky. Therefore I don't think check turn is that bad without read.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he calls the turn and leads the river with a solid bet, you can happily consider yourself toast and check out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like fold river after he calls your turn bet since it's likely the other guy want to push you out of a split pot. These split situation is always tricky. Therefore I don't think check turn is that bad without read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call, I didn't even notice that.

Just ignore my posts if made before 1pm.

/coffee needed
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM

If you check to induce a bluff then you must call. I usually prefer a little stronger hand to make that play but if your read is correct your hand will be good most of the time and the size of his bet is irrelevant. This is a very effective tool to use against over-aggro players. JMO
Old 12-29-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check to induce a bluff then you must call. I usually prefer a little stronger hand to make that play but if your read is correct your hand will be good most of the time and the size of his bet is irrelevant. This is a very effective tool to use against over-aggro players. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of what I was thinking. The general concensus seems to be fold, but I checked that turn so he'd bluff the river or bet it with a hand i'm ahead of. This villain was very aggro. I almost folded just because of the size of the bet, it really looked like a 2 that whiffed a checkraise on the turn. I called anyway and he showed down a total bluff, K7o or something. Incidentally he left after this hand. I'm thinking that he was doing this habitually, and when he got caught, he probably figured the jig was up and headed to another table to try this stunt some more. Luckily I had notes on him open anyway and got to take the note, and buddy list him.