Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: a fold unlike any other i\'ve ever made

[ QUOTE ]
why call preflop if ypur gonna fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can we please stop making posts like this? it is one of the dumbest phrases that gets posted to this forum, it makes no sense whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]
you are right in saying that the particular phrase is wrong but his intentions, IMO, were correct. if he is going to fold a flopped set to a min raise on the turn with a jack high board then i am kind of confused why he is playing a pair of fives?? what was he hoping to flop then? i respect what you post, can you enlighten me?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:20 PM

i think its a perfect sense. Does he need top set to keep playing the hand? But if he flops top set then there are straight draws... so maybe top boat?

-grant
Old 12-14-2005, 12:28 PM

there are certainly situations (maybe or maybe not here, but in general) where he's going to hit a set and then fold at some point. 4 flushed boards, action from super-nits on a ultra dry board, all sorts of things.

the reason I got annoyed at the post is in NL games you don't solely base your decision to commit all your chips on your hand strength alone (obv unless you have the nuts). it's certainly an important factor but far from the only one. everyone here knows this already, why do we need someone posting saying the equivalent of "you hit your set, now you have to move in or else you should have folded pf!"

--turnipmonster
Old 12-14-2005, 12:30 PM

he needs a read on his opponent. your mistake is assuming his hand strength is the only factor at play here.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Did the turn 2 complete the rainbow or match the J suit, or did it open a backdoor flush draw for AJs?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could easily see a super donk player do this with AA and check behind on the river. Of course, he might do this with JJ 77 too.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM

for all of you that are saying why even play pocket 5s if i'm gonna fold with bottom set you're obviously not getting it. however, it was a bad fold because he had aces.

if i don't have any type of read on a player i assume they are a good player. i do not see how any good player would play an over pair in this manner. i've come to the conclusion that against an unknown this is a terrible fold, as everyone here has already said. i will definitely fold these types of hands in the future to weak-tight straightforward opposition.

i'd also like to add that about 30 minutes before this hand went down i lost a 550 BB pot with aces on an A K K J 4 board to quad kings. so this hand probably had some effect on my fold.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Unless he flipped over his cards and showed you a bigger set this is a terrible fold.... Push..... KK AA QQ would all play it the same....
Old 12-14-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could easily see a good player do this with AA and check behind on the river. Of course, he might do this with JJ 77 too.

[/ QUOTE ]why in gods name would a good plyr check behind on the river w/ AA?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless he flipped over his cards and showed you a bigger set this is a terrible fold.... Push..... KK AA QQ would all play it the same....

[/ QUOTE ]

the quality of posts to this thread just keeps getting better and better .. lol