Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Good squeeze or blatant spewery?

200 NL 6 max. Party. From memory last nite so bear with me...

table is playing pretty loose and passive, but not insanely so. Assume ~100BB for all involved. Villain is about 38/4, a little loose preflop but not too bad postflop.

I'm on the button with 44. the table limps to me, I limp. SB raises to 6 which was his standard raise, he didnt adjust for limpers ever. 4(!) ppl call the raise, and I pop it up to $45 trying to take it down right there.

As soon as I did it I regretted it, thinking it would be too transparent. Why wouldn't AA/KK just raise all the limpers? But I had already reraised pf twice on this table and showed down AA both times. Maybe a bad time to try an image play, but too late now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway only villain calls, after a pretty long hesitation. I put him on a medium PP or AK. He was def capable of limp/calling AK.

Flop (~120) J53 rainbow. He checks to me and I push. Roughly a PSB. Fire away.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Good squeeze or blatant spewery?

Next time just take the flop without reraising preflop. If you DO decide to reraise, don't you think 45 is a little big. Raising to say 30 will probably accomplish the same thing? Raising to 45 seems like it would push out all the hands except for big pairs. AK would be nuts to just call here, OOP against a smoothcall/reraise. If you just call preflop, and flop a set, someone will pay you off. As for post flop, I find that PSBing seems to get more marginal hands to call you, not less, as fish can view it as some sort of bluff. Unfortunately you are not deep enough to bet 1/2 pot then push on turn, so I guess you don't really have a choice. I think villain is trapping you with a big pair. Im guessing he took your stack. I think its usually a bad idea to risk your stack on a bluff. Also, you have ot ask yourself, is it believable to the other players you would play qq-aa this way?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM

I'd rather make this play with junk. 44 is a great implied odds hand in this position on the BN with tons of callers in a raised pot. The play might be +EV, although I generally doubt relying on people to fold is +EV at SSNL, but calling there is DEFINITELY +EV.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:12 PM

I know the obvious play is call and try to flop a set. This is an image play/bluff. I know they are frowned upon by most here, but I like to try things now and then, I'm not afraid to drop a stack doing it. I don't play for a living I'm just trying to develop my game.

I don't want callers preflop, I'm trying to take it down without a flop because of all the dead money. That's why the reraise is big. Obviously it's folding out everything but big pairs. that's what I want. I'm hoping nobody has a big pair, and therefore can't call.

When it was HU on the flop with this partticular guy, and he checked to me, I followed through with the bluff.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When it was HU on the flop with this partticular guy, and he checked to me, I followed through with the bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is all well and good but I don't like it when it means throwing away an inherently profitable situation. So if you had J3o here, I'd be fine with it because there is no EV of playing the hand there. But with 44 which has great EV in this awesome spot, it is a bad time to take a line that you don't need a hand for.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather make this play with junk. 44 is a great implied odds hand in this position on the BN with tons of callers in a raised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% right. Thinking back I may have my hand wrong. may have had T8s or some other thing I would limp on the button after multiple limpers. Bleh I should have waited til I had the HH. Sounds like I'm backpedaling, but whatever.

Anyway now that I'm to the flop, I have to push when he checks to me, right?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:20 PM

Yes. Or at least bet. I'm forgetting the stack size. But definitely push if it's not an overbet. Although sometimes I find that 100 from a 120-130 stack has more fold equity than a push. I find that single chips have a lot of FE. 25s have a lot, but 100s have a ton. Weird, but I'm fairly sure correct, observation.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although sometimes I find that 100 from a 120-130 stack has more fold equity than a push. I find that single chips have a lot of FE. 25s have a lot, but 100s have a ton. Weird, but I'm fairly sure correct, observation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Thanks for the replies and sorry for screwed up the OP. Have to look when i get home, I'm really hoping I didn't do this with 44.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:30 PM

"I don't want callers preflop, I'm trying to take it down without a flop because of all the dead money."

Why risk $45 to win $5? I'd like to think more then once out of 9 times someone is going to wake up with KK and AA put you in a very bad spot.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I don't want callers preflop, I'm trying to take it down without a flop because of all the dead money."

Why risk $45 to win $5? I'd like to think more then once out of 9 times someone is going to wake up with KK and AA put you in a very bad spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're way off. Check the post again.