Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-01-2005, 06:47 AM

Default \"Default situational plays\" - your favorites?

I know this is a rather odd question, “default situational plays” – just seems like an oxymoron, doesn’t it?

Anyway, since success at NL poker depends greatly on ability to “play the players”, ie, make situational plays, I thought it be prudent to ask what your favourite moves/adaptions are when you have solid reads on active opponents in various situations?

Just a few starters:

Preflop

Often limp AA/KK in EP/MP when there are overly aggressive/loose and weak players in LP on big stacks, and go for a huge reraise/ push. There’s a good chance to get a terrible call from AK/JJ or even worse.

Frequently call tight PFRs on big stacks who can’t lay down big pairs with any pair or SC or other holding with any real potential.

On the flop
As PFR, holding value (>=TPTK) on draw-friendly flop (2-flush and/or connectors) against two muppets who just can’t fold a flush draw or OE-draw, overbet massively and give them a chance to really make an appalling call.

Of course there are myriads of useful plays to resort to when up against well known opponents. What are your favourites?

thanks,
Zal3
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: \"Default situational plays\" - your favorites?

Interesting thread,
why not include both "creative" moves and also "obvious" adaptions?

Surely, there are many NL players who don't adapt well to known characteristics of opponents.
But some situations should be more obvious than others.

I add these ones here:

OBVIOUS plays
1. Don't EVER bluff a calling station.

Creative
2. Up against a tight and weak player who bets the flop, call in position with any non-flush draw (>=4 outs) when there are 2 cards to a flush on the flop. Then if either your draw hits on turn, or a flush-card falls you bet/reraise big time.
Good example would be if you played a suited connector, and got a gutshot draw on the flop. With a 2-flush board you'll have 4+11 "outs" (total remaining cards 47, so 15:32), and can thus afford to call with 2:1 odds (a pot-sized flop bet).

/jaxz
Old 09-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Barry Greenstein had a few nice nuggets on Live at the Bike last night. Pretty straight forward.

1. Stop playing Ax from late position as in Nl they are just trouble hands.

2. When someone is stuck, you can loosen up your calling requirements against them. Always be aware of who is stuck.

3. J10 and K10os and the like are trouble hands. You can occasionaly raise with them from late position but what are you going to do when you pair them?

4. Raise with 109 suited just like you would with AA so people can't read you. Limping is too obvious you have suited connectors and the like.

5. Stop limping in NL! It is dangerous.

6. The best one - Playing with girls is important, but when you're stuck, getting your money back is as important because you have to get the money back first before you can play with the girls.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:05 PM

I raise AK, get a call from a LAG who limped before me.

Flop is something like A J 6. He checks, I make my 'continuation bet'. He calls.

Turn goes check-check.

He bets big on the river, I insta-call and he flips over QJ thinking it was good the entire way. Or, he flips over air. They just never expect someone to check top pair on the turn.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise AK, get a call from a LAG who limped before me.

Flop is something like A J 6. He checks, I make my 'continuation bet'. He calls.

Turn goes check-check.

He bets big on the river, I insta-call and he flips over QJ thinking it was good the entire way. Or, he flips over air. They just never expect someone to check top pair on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This play is GOLD. I use this all the time with great success. Also keeps you out of trouble with a 1 pair hand when he has you smoked and was trying for the c/r on the turn.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Nice topic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

If an opponents min-bet in late position on the flop means mid/bottom pair no kicker, or just air, I check-call the min-bet with any two, and lead on any turn. Against the right people, I get a fold every time. Most useful in 6 max, though.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 PM

What do you mean when someone is 'stuck'?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:02 PM

I've been playing with this lately....

1) Raising PF with a mid-high pp (like 10s). After you, a tight player reraises you and you firmly place him on a high pocket pair JJ-AA. You are certain you are behind.

The flop comes Ace high. Bet into him. He folds anything except Aces.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM

When they are losing.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM

My favorite play is to open limp/re-raise from the SB.