Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: About \"Psychology of Poker\" by Alan Schoonmaker

[ QUOTE ]
If you look on page xi, "About Alan Schoonmaker," you will note that it says I have been a professor and researcher and have authored a number of books on industrial psychology. Various people on our forums know that I owned and operated an international consulting company and worked in 28 countries for the world's largest corporations. The annual sales of my clients exceed one trillion dollars. I most definitely have never even tried to be a poker pro, nor have I ever come close to losing any significant money. I have no idea why you felt a need to make such an absurd statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your professional opinion, what prompted you to write so much about what other things you have accomplished instead of simply just stating that you have never even tried to play poker professionaly?

Also, I'd listen more to someone who has been there and done that. Like Roy Cooke.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:34 PM

... because he was rebutting OP's:[ QUOTE ]
I just think he sounds like someone who has no sense of money management, started playing poker and built up his dreams of the big money, got addicted, couldn't handle the stress, and in the end lost all his money due to his horrible money management. Then he jumps off his poker career and rights a book instead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 08:18 PM

Pastabatman has already stated why I "digressed."

Roy Cooke is not at all positive about poker as a full time career. He is no longer a full time pro, and he has frequently stated that most wannabes don't make it.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-12-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd listen more to someone who has been there and done that. Like Roy Cooke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the mistakes you can make as an aspiring poker players (and they are legion) NOT listening to the advice of Dr. Al can be one of the most catastrophic: many of the fine 2+2 writers will tell you how to play better; few, except him, teach you how to live better.

While I recommend Theory of Poker and Small Stakes Hold 'em to new players immediately ... the third most should read (yes, even before Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players - if only because the advice there is mainly applicable in the games beyond $20-40) is Psychology of Poker.

Roy Cooke is fine, but he's no Dr. Al.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Barron's advice is fine ... but Barron is no Roy Cooke