Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Party 5/10: AQ TPTK

Last one for today. I think I butchered this one and should have folded the flop once UTG calls the 2nd raise.

BB is some bad short stack 30/2 over 80 hands. Other player I haven't seen before, his nick is skinsfan666.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB ( 9 handed)

<font color="#C00000">BB ($325)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($803.03)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($1037)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $10, MP2 calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $10, Button calls $10, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($70) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, UTG calls $30, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $270</font>, UTG calls $240, Hero calls $120.

Turn: ($880) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets all-in.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Party 5/10: AQ TPTK

I like a flop checkraise alot more if this was live, as is, once all the action on the flop takes place, your hand is never good. The Q helps as you pick up equity vs what looks to be 22, but...Once BB 3bets and UTG cold calls, you should drop this on theflop. You're very rarely ahead - it is party poker,so there is a small % you're ahead - but most of the time you'redrawing to runners. (Good thing you hit one runner for the turn!)
Old 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM

Forget the BB. When UTG calls two raises what do you think is the worst hand he could have? The str8 draw? Other than that the only thing out there is 2 pr and three sets. I think 2 pr would fold to your raise (ignoring the short stack) so he's got to have a set. What else can he have? On the turn you know he doesn't have Q's. I don't see the push unless you can make a case for him calling with AJ, 2 pr or the str8 draw. Since you don't have a read I don't like this.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the replies, as I figured, I played stupid. I really need to fold when UTG calls $240 because he will usually have a monster. I can't worry about BB because if it were HU against him I'd be pot committed despite his bizarre sub-minraise(which btw should have been another indicator to fold).

Hopefully I'll learn to avoid these ~$650 mistakes before my bankroll runs out.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 AM

for the love of god raise preflop and eliminate these problems.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 AM

raise PRE FLOP...in this position you HAVE to you are out of position...and i would never check this flop against this many people, i have to see where my hand stands, I top pair with top kicker, it may be good enough, I bet 100% time in this situation and if run into resistance from one or more i usually fold.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this is full ring with EP limpers, right? I'm not looking for a big pot in this spot.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise PRE FLOP...in this position you HAVE to you are out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this an argument AGAINST raising?

[ QUOTE ]
...and i would never check this flop against this many people, i have to see where my hand stands, I top pair with top kicker, it may be good enough, I bet 100% time in this situation and if run into resistance from one or more i usually fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why must you bet to figure out where you stand? Can't you read hands without betting? It's a lot cheaper to check and then fold after you see people go nuts than it is to bet and fold after you see people go nuts. And if you are planning to fold to any resistance then you might as well be on a total bluff here, and bluffing into a big field of limpers is usually a bad idea.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this is full ring with EP limpers, right? I'm not looking for a big pot in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
i need to play AQ 8way unraised like i need a hole in the head.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:35 AM

raise pf
as played, lead that flop for a decent sized pot bet
as played on flop, call the bet and reevaulate turn to avoid the unpleasant situation of playing a huge pot with a weak 1 pair hand oop.