Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Sexton Joins the \"Reraise\" Club

Pet peeves:

Incorrect usage of "an". "An" is used before a vowel sound, otherwise use "a". "An historic" is correct only if you're Cockney. Every radio and television announcer in America should be shot over this one.

Diva. It's not a nice term. It's an insult. Look it up.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:28 AM

I don't have my AP style-book handy but I thought it was 'an historic.'

If I was writing a news-story this is how I would write it. And I believe I actually HAVE written broadcast copy using the article 'an' with 'historic' although I admit I don't recall specifically looking this one up or whether I was ever taught it one way or another.

Another one that someone pointed out to me was the term 'very unique'. I was calling a baseball game and somewhere was describing a 'very unique' delivery that some pitcher had.
Later, over beers, my studio-engineer pointed out to me that unique means 'one of a kind'. Something can't be VERY unique or LESS unique. It's ALREADY one of a kind. So it's either unique or it isn't.
by it's own definition it can't be a matter of degree.
He was correct (at least I think he was) and I never made that mistake again.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are right that there is a difference between the two words.

However, "use" is the better verb for your sentence.

As a side note, if the verb "utilize" really did have a connotation of "proper" employment (which it doesn't), the presence of "properly" in your sentence would be redundant.

As I have a degree in English literature from a very prestigious university, this discussion is hereby concluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I accept what you have said, and defer to your knowledge of these things about which we discuss.

Humor me for just another moment or two, though, please.

Was the Professional Writing professor wrong?

If my intent (intention?) was to posit that utilize implies not merely the act of attempted employment, but to actually, oh, say, extract from a thing that for which the thing was designed, would I be any closer?

Lastly, is there any validity to the other poster's opinion that as a matter of good form alone it makes sense to vary your vocabulary, particularly when using/utilizing words which are close enough in meaning as to be only negligibly different connotatively?

I am sincerely curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got it backwards. To utilize something is to use it for an unintended purpose. So, for example, you might use an umbrella when it's raining...but if you don't have one lying around, you might have to utilize a newspaper to keep yourself dry.

Your question about word choice is hard. The answer depends in large part on the interaction between your goals and your audience. If your goal is to articulate a difficult, original concept to a conference hall full of Ph.D.s, you should worry more about precision than about accessibility. If you're trying to sell your social security scam to a warehouse full of factory workers, and the last thing you want to do is to look like the Ivy-educated egghead that you are, you probably want to go light on the polysyllabic Latinate monstrosities. If you're trying to get a girl to sleep with you....well....actually, do you have any advice about that one?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, I can understand the rampant disregard here at 2+2 for the differences between your and you're, lose and loose, and the Unholy Trio (there, they're, and their), but this is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about should have and should of? For some reason I have have only seen this in poker related chat/posts, anyone knows why?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about should have and should of? For some reason I have have only seen this in poker related chat/posts, anyone knows why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yes. Absolutely. See it all the time.

I suspect that the reason you see it at poker sites most often is because you do not frequent an afghan quilting sites, where it's REALLY out of control, believe me.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:02 AM

It's a little whiny, but I also find this annoying. He is in a position of authority when it comes to this little world of poker, he may as well act accordingly.

In lots of the small college games I play in, people prefer saying "raise" instead of "bet" on the flop/turn/river when they are the first to bet. Annoys the hell outta me, and it is also incredibly confusing when friends are trying to recall hands.

"So the flop comes Ace high and I raise."

"Who bet before you?"

"No one."

"So you bet, you didn't raise."

"No, there is money in the pot, I raised that."

Maybe "I raise" just sounds better.

Nitty, I know, but a pet peeve I guess.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got it backwards. To utilize something is to use it for an unintended purpose. So, for example, you might use an umbrella when it's raining...but if you don't have one lying around, you might have to utilize a newspaper to keep yourself dry.

Your question about word choice is hard. The answer depends in large part on the interaction between your goals and your audience. If your goal is to articulate a difficult, original concept to a conference hall full of Ph.D.s, you should worry more about precision than about accessibility. If you're trying to sell your social security scam to a warehouse full of factory workers, and the last thing you want to do is to look like the Ivy-educated egghead that you are, you probably want to go light on the polysyllabic Latinate monstrosities. If you're trying to get a girl to sleep with you....well....actually, do you have any advice about that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the very reasonable, informative, and civil response.

I just learned something here at 2+2 that did not involve EV. Excellent.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're trying to get a girl to sleep with you....well....actually, do you have any advice about that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I can assure you, any enlightenment on the use of this secret language would be far more valuable than understanding the difference between use and utilize.

In fact, I'd be happy to go back to clicking and whistling if only these secrets would be revealed.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:32 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
This is the WPT forum, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and this is the most useful conversation that the WPT forum has seen in ages.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Diva. It's not a nice term. It's an insult. Look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but I think you might be missing the fact that folks KNOW it's not a "nice term."

Think "bitch." Sure, it's not a "nice term," but a lot of women use it to describe themselves or their friends in a sort of endearing way.

The day they start using the "c-word" in the same way is the day we'll know something peculiar is happening.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:21 AM

This
thread
is
stupid.