Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: So I just found out...

That shouldn't be that hard.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that my stanford application is due tonight. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] How do you like my chances of finishing it by 3 am eastern? (all I have left to do is write a 5000 character essay, which is about 1 page single-spaced i think)

[/ QUOTE ]

Life only gets worse from here. You need to get organized and start managing your time.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 PM

Well, I’ll just add that the character essay is quite possibly worth next to nothing. A while back I saw a layout of how the UC’s review their applicants and the essay was often worth less than 1% of your overall score. It’s a different school obviously, but I doubt the process is vastly different.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does it sound like I don't think I can do it? Its gonna be a piece of cake, but my parents are freaking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can probably finish it, but you may be overlooking the fact that your finished product will just be a 5000 character essay that you turned out in a few hours. there is a difference between this and an essay that you put a lot of thought into, that you proofread/revised numerous times, and that is clever enough to set you apart from the average applicant.

edit: i should probably note here that I was very lazy with many of my applications too though [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Doc.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does it sound like I don't think I can do it? Its gonna be a piece of cake, but my parents are freaking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can probably finish it, but you may be overlooking the fact that your finished product will just be a 5000 character essay that you turned out in a few hours. there is a difference between this and an essay that you put a lot of thought into, that you proofread/revised numerous times, and that is clever enough to set you apart from the average applicant.

edit: i should probably note here that I was very lazy with many of my applications too though [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a job yet?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
essay is quite possibly worth next to nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably wrong. Stanford has (1) a [censored] load of money, (2) a (relatively) small student body, (3) a large admissions staff. From their standpoint they think "we can have anybody we want, why should we take you?". they can comb out the losers pretty quickly. Perfect grades and 1500+ SAT (old grading scale) are par for the course. You still have to set yourself apart from the other geniuses. They look for that in the personal statement.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM

Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a job yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

next question, [censored]. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 PM

Just send in the actual application right now, but try to work on the essay. As long as the actual application is in but is missing some pieces, they'll just ask for them later.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 PM

why did you post this [censored] if youre not stressed. i only want to read this dumb crap if youre about to kill yourself from stress.