Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Default J9s - Hold \'em or Fold \'em...or push?

First off, let me apologize if this is not in the best form, I am at work and don’t have access to my PT. The stack amounts might not be exact, but you get the idea. Here’s the situation: $10 buy in at Party. 2200 entrants. I am the chip leader at my table with roughly T30k. Villain is fairly new to the table but seems pretty solid so far and has about T21k in chips. We are just into the money. Blinds are at 400/800. I have been somewhat active in the last few orbits since we were on the bubble.

It is folded to me in the cutoff and I raised to T2500 with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It was a steal opportunity in my mind. Its folded to Villain in the SB and he raises it T4500 to T7000. BB folds. I was going to lay it down, but I didn’t want to show weakness to the 2nd biggest stack at the table. So I just called hoping that I could maybe trap him or if the flop misses me, I am done with the hand.

The flop comes out 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot – T14800.

Villain bets T7000, (leaving him about T7000). I now have and open ended straight/flush/straight flush draw – 14 outs. I figure that it is a coin flip in he has a pocket pair, AK, or AQ (as long are they are not both diamonds.)

My questions, should I have called the preflop raise? What range of hands do you put Villain on? And, what is my action on the flop, call or push?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: J9s - Hold \'em or Fold \'em...or push?

you have 15 outs, not 14. The decision on the flop is a push, and it is not even remotely close.

You have 21 outs against AK, and are a dominating favorite.

You are also a favorite against EVERYTHING except a set.

I insta push this, and doing anything else is simply wrong IMO.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Sorry, I was wrong on the outs, it is 15. Thank you. But want about pre-flop? I think that this is the hardest part about the hand.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 PM

i would fold preflop. you made a steal attempt and it has failed, let it go.

on the flop i think you have to move in because you have a monster draw. unfortunately your opponent appears to have pot commited himself so he is almost certainly going to call and you're going to have to hit