Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Default First Hand Post

UTG+1 is 16/11/ and MP2 is 36/4

Sorry, don't have aggression factor on either. I'm new to poker tracker and can't seem to find this info when doing a search on my opponents.

Anyway, this is my first hand post. I hope to be doing more posting of hands now that I've got poker tracker working. What's the play here? Call or raise?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3 3. CO posts a blind of $3.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO (poster) calls, 3 folds.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 3, A, 6 (4 players)rainbow
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls, MP2 raises, CO folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 7 (3 players)rainbow
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero ???
Old 05-20-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: First Hand Post

I would fold that preflop.

I would also consider 3-betting the flop, but I can also see the turn checkraise, as its unlikely he is raising for a free card on that board.

But, I think the play is to reraise the turn. Since MP2 raised the flop, I could see him having a calldown type hand here.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:11 PM

First I think this is a fold pf. As is, I think you have to three bet this on the flop, from there the hand plays quite differently. As far as hands go, UTG+1 looks like hes playing AK, AQ, AJ, or maybe AA (I dont think he would be raising 66 77 in ep but its possible 8 handed I guess). That crazy MP2 could have 66 but i think more likely A6, or 67s. I think the AF of MP2 would really help flush out what his holding is.

On the turn i think I raise, and start throwing things if i get capped.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:15 PM

http://www.selachian.com/tools/bison...hconverter.cgi

use that, and aggression factor on PT is in the box that says "more detail" in the general info section
Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Yes, the preflop call is questionable. I believe there were some loosey goosies at the table that I expected to cold call the raise if I called it before them, giving them incentive. I figured by the time it went around the table that I would have sufficient odds with my pocket pair. There was also the blind posted by the CO that influenced my decision as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
use that, and aggression factor on PT is in the box that says "more detail" in the general info section

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. Yes, I used the converter but managed to post this in the wrong forum. The converted hand is in the small stakes no-limit forum. I'll post the rest of the hand (and the unusual results) later on.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Welcome to the board, Bob! Good to see you're posting hands, and my first advice would be post a few and then wait a while, reading up on other hands that are posted. This will give you time to digest what you've learned and tie concepts together.

Here are a few of my thoughts on your post, bit by bit.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 is 16/11/ and MP2 is 36/4

Sorry, don't have aggression factor on either. I'm new to poker tracker and can't seem to find this info when doing a search on my opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find AF-TOT by getting "more details" in the general info tab on a player. Additionally, if you're using PlayerView (it now costs $, but is worth it) or GameTime+ (free, but slower), you can select these stats in the "Layout Manager" module. The aggression factor is a key indicator for how you should play on later streets -- i.e. does his raise mean a big hand, or does it mean has has AK unimproved and is trying to move you off your straight flush? A high AF-TOT (2+) means the latter, while a low one means the former.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, this is my first hand post. I hope to be doing more posting of hands now that I've got poker tracker working. What's the play here? Call or raise?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3 3. CO posts a blind of $3.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO (poster) calls, 3 folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold this facing an EP raiser, and I think others will say the same. Your hand is likely dominated badly (an overpair), or is in trouble against two big overcards that you may have to pay off on every street (if the flop comes 24Q or something like that). In fact, unless table conditions are truly ideal, I'd only play hands I can 3-bet here -- meaning AQs+, AK, QQ+. UTG+1's 16/11 stats are solid as long as they're over a decent sample, and his raise means business. If he was 36/25 then you'd want to 3-bet with a MUCH more liberal range of hands, including 99+, QJs+, KQ+, and some Ax hands sooted and not.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (9.33 SB) 3, A, 6 (4 players)rainbow
UTG+1 bets, Hero calls, MP2 raises, CO folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you're waiting until the turn to raise, and this is the standard line I see from opponents in 2/4 and 3/6 games. I don't like it, as long as you think you'll get action from someoen who has Ax in their hand. Obviously, you want action with your set, and I don't think you can fear AA or 66, at least not yet. The emphasis here on the flop should be on building a large pot, since there are really no draws on the board. You'd like to tie AK to this pot, so lead out, and if raised after you, go'head and 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (7.66 BB) 7 (3 players)rainbow
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-Raises and calls a cap. Since you flat-called the frop, a turn C/R is probably best. MP2 might not raise if you bet, though if you're confident he will (if you had his aggro factor, you might get a sense from this...) then you should lead out and 3-bet when it gets back to you. Do not fear AA/66/77, unless they cap it on you at the turn. Even then you MUST see a showdown with this hand on this board. So anyhow hero raises, MP2 is going to call a huge majority of the time. If he's weaker, he'll go into check-call mode, so you'll need to lead the river for value, and depending on your read just call a raise or 3-bet.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the preflop call is questionable. I believe there were some loosey goosies at the table that I expected to cold call the raise if I called it before them, giving them incentive. I figured by the time it went around the table that I would have sufficient odds with my pocket pair. There was also the blind posted by the CO that influenced my decision as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see you're thinking about odds and position, as well as loose money from posters... all are important concepts, and I don't mean to sound condescending in saying that.

Nonetheless, I think the evidence in this hand still points clearly to a fold, almost no matter who is to your left. Online players are not that observant, and advertising plays have little value. Additionally, coldcalling (a big EV mistake) in order to induce others to make big mistakes is not great poker, IMO. The extra small bet from CO's post doesn't change that, and MP1's statistics further reinforce the fact that you are facing a solid hand that, at absolute worst, is 50/50 with your hand by the end. Since your hand has significant reverse-implied odds characteristics (read Sklansky's Theory of Poker for that term), you want to fold and save your bets for a spot where you hold a much clearer advantage.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. Yes, I used the converter but managed to post this in the wrong forum. The converted hand is in the small stakes no-limit forum. I'll post the rest of the hand (and the unusual results) later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't post results... it biases discussion of the hand. While you were playing the hand, you didn't know the results, and next time you face this situation you won't know them. Focus instead on the decision making process during each element of the hand, and particularly WHY a particular action is best. I'm just starting to really do this and I have to say it is a very rewarding learning process.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:40 PM

3-bet or fold PF. Your attempt to slowplay is retarded. You missed bets. You hit one of the two cards you needed to win the hand. Exract value with them.