Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Where does the money come from?

I have found that the way I make $$$ at poker is by waiting for other players to make mistakes and/or by semi-bluffing, rather than any "skill" or fancy plays on my part. Is this correct? Is this only because I am female? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Where does the money come from?

Weirdest post ever?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weirdest post ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely ranks up there. Plus it makes me feel that as a man I should be making my money by using my full arsenal of skill plays. But, the arsenal is empty...
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 PM

I don't know what you mean by "correct" ?

Are you asking whether waiting for your opponents to make errors is wiser than causing them to (or TRYING to cause them to) make errors ?

- If you're playing at lower limits, it probably is.

Are you asking whether this is the ONLY way to win - as in, are you correct in your assesment of what happens in a poker game ?

- Again this is dependent on your opposition but often you will find small stakes games to be stocked with opponents that are so weak (see: clueless) that most of (in some cases ALMOST ALL of) your profits come from them tripping over their own feet rather than by you knocking them down.

If you clarify what you meant you'll likely get a better answer but I hope mine helped a little.

P.S. My experience has shown the most effective weapon in a female players arsenal is the low cut blouse; tank tops are good too. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Cut her some slack

She spelled "appreciated" correctly. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

If we are grading on the curve she shows major potential. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Cut her some slack

Well first I couldn't tell if it was a serious Q or not. Also the part about being female was kind of a non sequitur.

Very much akin to.

"I've noticed most of the times when my opponent has a 4 flush draw they will not fold even with bad odds to chase. Is this because dogs have cold noses?"

But a serious response...

The sad truth is that there is no such thing as "fancy" plays in poker. Every single cent of all poker profit (long term) comes from simply making less mistakes than your opponent according to the FTOP.

Some people would call how you induce these mistakes "fancy" though.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:30 PM

I would say that at lower limits, most of the money comes from allowing other players to make misstakes and you don't need to do anything too fancy. As you move up, the players get better and make fewer misstakes. This is where intricate moves become more beneficial as you now really have to outthink your opponents.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weirdest post ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly is unusual. And around 2+2 that's saying a lot.

Also, it reminded me of the poster, KittyKat.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 PM

She didn't refer to herself as a brat though... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-ZEN
Old 12-21-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Cut her some slack

[ QUOTE ]

"I've noticed most of the times when my opponent has a 4 flush draw they will not fold even with bad odds to chase. Is this because dogs have cold noses?"

LOL - good one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Of course it has nothing to do with the average temperature of a dog's nose. (It doesn't does it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])?

It may, however, have something to do with dogs; many players have told me they base their decision to call or not call based on something similar to game theory.

They call to draw to that flush if the "dogs" tell them to and fold if the "dogs" are silent. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

IT'S NOT PARANOIA IF THE WORLD REALLY IS OUT TO GET ME [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]