Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Anybody rather win a satellite into the WPT Championship than the

[ QUOTE ]
but to be the best you have to beat the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM

I have played in both of these events (I won a seat to the WPT Championship in 2004 through Pokerstars & the WSOP ME 2005 through Party.) They were very different experiences.

Here are my thoughts:

Buy In:
The WPT Championship is $25k and the WSOP is $10k ( Advantage: WPT Championship )

Tournament Structure
In the WSOP you start with 10k in chips with 100 minute levels on day 1 (2 hour levels on day 2+). The WPT starts with 50k in chips with basically the same blind level as the WSOP and levels go up 90 minutes. Also, we only played 9 hours a day at the WPT Championship where day 1 of the WSOP, I played 15.5 hours. It was brutal. Advantage: WPT Championship

Facilities
This is no contest. The Bellagio wins this hands down. I recognize that the Rio had to accomodate a lot more people, but one bathroom for 2000 guys, are you kidding me? Advantage: WPT Championship

Competition Level
Well since I finished in the top 20% at the WPT and top 5% at the WSOP, I definitely have to say the WSOP is way easier. One table I played on was like a college game ( Advantage: WSOP)

Atmosphere
This is a tough one. Playing in the WPT Championship felt so much more special than playing at the WSOP. However, there was a lot more electricity not to mention a ton more people at the WSOP. Advantage: Toss Up

Star Factor:
My table on Day 1 consisted of Mike Matusow, Randy Jensen, Clonie Gowen, a British kid that won the first WSOP 2004 event, several other pros that I cant remember their names, and Doyle Brunson joined us later in the day. It was an all star field. My first table at the WSOP consisted of Tuan Le who busted out early. I didn't see another pro until day three where I sat next to several (Lee Watkinson, Layne Flack, Sammy Farha, the shiek (what an absolute jerk), just to name a few). ( Advantage: WPT)

In the end, I loved playing in both of them but I think the WPT Championship was a better tournament.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming I paid the same to get there. I'd much rather have the WPT. Simple reason--which one are you more likely to win or even make $. I would go with the WPT. 600 vs 6000. even if there's 5000 fish in the main event one of them is extremely likely to bust you out of it. I don't have to suckout all that much to make it to the final table--I think lol. If the final table is players as good/better than me I'll definitely take the fun race situations although I am against that policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The percentage of people paid in the WPT championship and WSOP are about the same, your odds are equal in terms of entrants vs Paid.

But those damn fish will just suck out on you at the WSOP, so you better just suck out on a higher percentage pro field at the WPT.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

oh, that was YOU? nice ... fwiw, you only seemed like a semi-retard, not a total one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...I think.

The whole phone-call to my blog-updater guy went something like, "We're only 45 minutes in so we're still at the first level. I'm up to 18k in chips. my set of Q's crippled a guy with pocket A's. There are 1800 players in the room on day 1a. Also...Johnny Chan is at my table."

The cameras obviously made it look like I was calling BECAUSE Chan was at my table...but it was really a situation where I was due to call my blog-update guy...and that's when Chan arrived (he pulled a hellmuth and didn't show up at the beginning) so the ESPN cameras were right there following him...and then pointed at me on my phone.

Stupid me...should have backed further away from the table.