Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Questionable Stars 30/60 hand

I finally took a shot at the Stars 30/60. After playing just over 50 hands, I seem to understand what everyone was saying about this game. Most of the players play a very different style than I am used to.

Anyway, here's a hand that I think I played badly. I think my call on third is probably too loose. Is my call on 4th street reasonable? At the time, I figured that I was up against a pair of kings and that I could catch either a low card or a diamond on 5th to continue.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.25 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.25 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.25 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (10.25 BB)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Questionable Stars 30/60 hand

I really hate your 3rd street call, esp. first to act after the bring in. Your hand has no scoop potential and it's very likely to be raised behind you in this game. Three flushes without low potential aren't that great in Stud8 (in my experience).

Jeff
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 AM

I would fold third...

but since you called... I would fold fourth.
you are fighting an uphill battle towards half of a small pot (for low) and you need some big help to make a high hand.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:05 PM

Fold third, even though your diamonds are pretty live you have very little scoop potential. Since you called third, fould fourth. You're chasing a small pot. FOld and wait for a better chance.

What were your overall thoughts about the game?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is my call on 4th street reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Negatory senor, instah mook
Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I looked back over my hands from the session and this was the one that I didn't understand what I was doing at all. Though, their were several others were I definitely missed a bet or two.

This game does seem to have a lot of players that absolutely love disguised high hands. Some players are able to play marginal hands very well in heads up pots. On the other hand, I would often think I was probably getting scooped and then find out I was freerolling with my made low. I would rarely be 100% sure what my opponent had, but I'm not sure the deception would always be worth the fundamental equity errors they were making.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:32 PM

Fold third, if you misclick and call, fold fourth. The pot is just too small to continue there, and the way the hand played out shows just how costly continuing can be. (It looks like you escaped with at least half the pot, but I wouldn't be happy.)
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 PM

The three most important things in split pot games which offer many opportunities to be sandwiched are position, position, and position. That hand has none of the three. IMO fold.