Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 AM

Default I found the hand. Is this an instacall? His small river bet scared me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t2588)
BB (t1910)
UTG (t3290)
UTG+1 (t4740)
Hero (t8787)
MP2 (t2040)
MP3 (t2705)
CO (t720)
Button (t3200)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of t150.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t350, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1050) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t1250) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, Hero calls t500.

River: (t2250) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, Hero calls t500.

Final Pot: t3250

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 2h As (one pair, aces).
Hero has Ah Kh (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins t3250. </font>
Old 11-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: I found the hand. Is this an instacall? His small river bet scared me.

Yeah I would call. His bets smell of fear. Lol. His bets are too small to be taken seriously.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: I found the hand. Is this an instacall? His small river bet scared me.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I would call. His bets smell of fear. Lol. His bets are too small to be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was getting 5:1 so I had to call. Thought he was trying to lure me in. I'm thinking, "he wants me to call with his probe bet"
Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: I found the hand. Is this an instacall? His small river bet scared

small puke as opposed to big puke, but yeah, I auto-call.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: I found the hand. Is this an instacall?

Tricky situation since you don't have a club...

I like the flatcall on the flop since you can get away cheap with another club on the turn but now that the turn comes blank I would try to raise him too see where I am in this hand. Let's say you raise him 1200 (raise of 700) that would pretty much put him all in and if he don't have a club I don't think he will risk his stack on this.

Ok, with the way you played it cost you 1500 but if you decided to raise on the turn it would only cost you 200 more and you would put the hard decision on him whether to move in or not. If he moves all in on you it's another 1000 to call, giving you 3,8 to 1 to call but it's easy to get away from since you are most likely beat.

His bet on the river was somewhat strange and you would only loose 200 more (if we knew he would make a 500 bet on the river) if you raised him on turn. His bet seems like weakness too.

What do rest of you guys think off a raise here on the turn?

I'm hungry but I hope you guys get what I am saying.

I haven't checked the result yet and will not do until this have been discussed.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I like the flatcall on the flop since you can get away cheap with another club on the turn but now that the turn comes blank I would try to raise him too see where I am in this hand. Let's say you raise him 1200 (raise of 700) that would pretty much put him all in and if he don't have a club I don't think he will risk his stack on this.

Ok, with the way you played it cost you 1500 but if you decided to raise on the turn it would only cost you 200 more and you would put the hard decision on him whether to move in or not. If he moves all in on you it's another 1000 to call, giving you 3,8 to 1 to call but it's easy to get away from since you are most likely beat.

His bet on the river was somewhat strange and you would only loose 200 more (if we knew he would make a 500 bet on the river) if you raised him on turn. His bet seems like weakness too.

I'm hungry but I hope you guys get what I am saying.

I haven't checked the result yet and will not do until this have been discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the good post. I was going to post that I probably should have pushed the turn. I still think that would have been the best play, but I think I wanted to make sure I saw the river at the time and would have hated to have been raised all in. I was sick when I saw the club on the river. This player was a pretty loose player and my read on him was that he might have pushed over the top if I pushed on the turn (just a guess that I thought about at the time). I was hoping that I could get this to the end as cheap as possible. With his strange bet I even thought he might have flopped a flush with 2 picture clubs.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:34 AM

What was your thought on the flop play? You raised 4BB PF, he came out betting the flop for 1/10th of the pot. Okay the flop is as scary as it could be, but your opponent isn't showing much confidence in taking this one down by betting this little. Besides the occasional slowplay, you are pretty much ahead of his range. If he had the nuts he probably bet a little more on the flop since your position rules out some weaker raising hands and this board has most likely hit your hand in some way; (nut)flush draw, straight draw, two pair, 2nd pair, TPTK or a set. I think this is a WA situation and you had to make him pay for any draw he was trying to hit, raising him half the pot to 3/4 of the pot.

By just calling his flop bet you put yourself in a pickle with that river card. Good example of a dark tunnel bluf that flop bet of his.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your thought on the flop play? You raised 4BB PF, he came out betting the flop for 1/10th of the pot. Okay the flop is as scary as it could be, but your opponent isn't showing much confidence in taking this one down by betting this little. Besides the occasional slowplay, you are pretty much ahead of his range. If he had the nuts he probably bet a little more on the flop since your position rules out some weaker raising hands and this board has most likely hit your hand in some way; (nut)flush draw, straight draw, two pair, 2nd pair, TPTK or a set. I think this is a WA situation and you had to make him pay for any draw he was trying to hit, raising him half the pot to 3/4 of the pot.

By just calling his flop bet you put yourself in a pickle with that river card. Good example of a dark tunnel bluf that flop bet of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I look at it I see that I should have definetly pushed even after the flop and gave him bad odds of calling (if he did have 1 club). My range on him was pretty loose. I was thinking he could have had KQ, KJ, K10, Ax, ANY PAIR.. He was pretty loose.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh the famous 'monster under the bed'-phobia. Sure there's a chance he has 2 clubs since he could be calling 350 PF with any 2 suited cards, but you can't expect that to happen every time 3 suits are turned over on the flop. You miss out on a lot of value and give your opponent cheap cards to draw to the flush if they have 1 club.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you flatcalled the flop fearing a flush I don't see you raising the turn with a blank hitting.

But when you have gotten over your phobia then I would recommend a turn raise yes.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh the famous 'monster under the bed'-phobia. Sure there's a chance he has 2 clubs since he could be calling 350 PF with any 2 suited cards, but you can't expect that to happen every time 3 suits are turned over on the flop. You miss out on a lot of value and give your opponent cheap cards to draw to the flush if they have 1 club.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you flatcalled the flop fearing a flush I don't see you raising the turn with a blank hitting.

But when you have gotten over your phobia then I would recommend a turn raise yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was a 15% chance he had 2 clubs in his hand. I thought there was a 75% by his betting patters he had 1 club though. My reason for not PUSHING after flop and turn? I don't have one. I look at it now and think "Easy Push" but I don't know why I didn't do it. For some reason with this hyper aggressive guy I thought a push would have resulted in him going all in, and I didn't want to have to make that decision. I mean, this guy was involved in every pot and as you can imagine he was out soon after this hand.