Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-26-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Similar to HOH2 AA problem

Ok, here's the deal. I've been a lurker for awhile now and man have you guys helped my game. I've been meaning to register and after this MTT today, I had to post because I think I made a mistake and this seems interesting anyway.

$3 rebuy on Stars for Sunday 500,000.
33 left, 25 get seat and I'm currently in 25th with slightly under 50,000. Blinds are about to go to 3K-6K with 300 ante I believe. Chip leader is on my left and has raised every hand for the last 15 minutes. To his left is another massive stack, so my hands are tied as far as stealing.

I'm in the CO with JJ, best hand I've seen in over 2 hours. Short stack to my right goes all in for 15,000. I figure he doesn't have much and go all in pretty quickly. Chip leader thinks for a moment and calls. I know I shouldn't post results right away, but in this case I don't think it matters.

Short stack- QQ
Chip leader- AK

The flop brings an ace and we are both gone. Was this too aggressive or am I just being results oriented here?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Similar to HOH2 AA problem

Results oriented.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 PM

I think this is a clear fold since you are playing on the bubble of a sat with the chipleader yet to act.

I think you are a coinflip at best if you are called by the chip leader. Also, it is somewhat likely that you will be called by any two in hopes of eliminating two players, and you have enough chips to try to survive to the seat and perhaps pick up a monster or two.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM

I think it was a mistake and I agree with badluckal. At the time though, I felt like if I folded, I'd end up pushing with something far weaker. The stacks to my left weren't going anywhere, so I think a future push would have been called. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:37 PM

While you certainly had a strong hand, I think you may have wanted to wait for a point where you could beat everyone else into the pot. "first-in vigorish" seems to be the favorite term for this.

In this situation you need a much stronger hand to call an all-in, especially with almost guaranteed action to follow.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While you certainly had a strong hand, I think you may have wanted to wait for a point where you could beat everyone else into the pot. "first-in vigorish" seems to be the favorite term for this.

In this situation you need a much stronger hand to call an all-in, especially with almost guaranteed action to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should reread the post. He pushed, chip leader called.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 PM

well,he had to call an All-in to push Soss, which is what that guy is talking about.

But this is a push.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 PM

Remember the short stack only had about 1/3 of my stack. If this were a regular prize structure, I think it's a pretty easy all in. In this case, I'm still not sure.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well,he had to call an All-in to push Soss, which is what that guy is talking about.

But this is a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

gimme a break...the all in is for 2.5xBB. It shouldn't have any effect. He's waaaay ahead of the all in's range. The fact that the big stack happened to pick up a hand (and hit) is all but irrelevant.

This has nothing to do w/ FIV.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 PM

i was just saying that's what the guy was talking about.. so he wasn't completely off his rocker.