Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Line Check - BB Hand Level 1

No real reads. I have played one hand before this, I took the pot on the flop without a showdown.

Is this too marginal a spot to get my chips in, especially this early?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1110)
SB (t3220)
Hero (t1530)
UTG (t1400)
UTG+1 (t1450)
MP1 (t1250)
Villan (t1740)
CO (t1780)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t40</font>, MP2 (Villan)/ calls t40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20.

Flop: (t170) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t80</font>, Villan calls t80, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t220, Villan calls t220.

Turn: (t1070) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1190 (All-In)</font>.....
Old 09-15-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Line Check - BB Hand Level 1

Looks fine to me, but i think i'd just fold it preflop
Old 09-15-2005, 09:05 AM

Fair enough.

I called the mini-raise because of the pot odds and because if I did hit the flop, it would be well disguised.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM

I like it-- did AK or KQ come along for the ride?

(And I love cheap preflop calls with weird crap when a decent multiway pot is building)
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM

to me it looks like you played this hand very well,looks like you're defendig against a flush draw and top pair,and putting all your chips in on the turn,after you've built the pot up seems like a good move,maybe a fish calls there with a flush draw,there's the odd chance kk is out there with the min raise,not likely but could happen,more likely kq,and they'll need alot of luck to catch up on the river.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:26 PM

Agree with ExitOnly. Post flop you did fine. Preflop, you should be folding this. Sure you're getting 5-1 to call but you're playing out of position. What kind of flop are you looking for? 99x? 44x? 94x? How often are those flops going to come? You're better off saving those extra 20 chips for later. It's hard not to be results oriented when things end up going good like this. But, I think in the long run you'll be better off just folding these in the future.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with ExitOnly. Post flop you did fine. Preflop, you should be folding this. Sure you're getting 5-1 to call but you're playing out of position. What kind of flop are you looking for? 99x? 44x? 94x? How often are those flops going to come? You're better off saving those extra 20 chips for later. It's hard not to be results oriented when things end up going good like this. But, I think in the long run you'll be better off just folding these in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough to you as well, I completely see your points on the fold pre-flop aspect as it relates to position on the flop and the chain of events required to make the call profitable.

To explain my decision in calling there, I considered my poor position as a reason to fold, but this T20 represented less than 2% of my stack, and I figured it would be very easy to get away from if I missed but would offer incredible implied odds if I hit.

Thus, I think I disagree that folding in the BB to a miniraise in a multiway pot with a well-concealed hand is a profitable move long-term because of the implied odds involved. I want to take every cheap opportunity to accumulate chips early, and therefore I think I call with almost any two here.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to me it looks like you played this hand very well,looks like you're defendig against a flush draw and top pair,and putting all your chips in on the turn,after you've built the pot up seems like a good move,maybe a fish calls there with a flush draw,there's the odd chance kk is out there with the min raise,not likely but could happen,more likely kq,and they'll need alot of luck to catch up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your interpretation is correct, and I am glad you like the turn play.

I was somewhat concerned when I was not able to get it heads up with the flop check-raise. I was looking to fold any flush-draws, or at least give them terrible odds to call, and by pushing it makes AK/KQ/KJ/JJ/TT think that I don't want a call.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it-- did AK or KQ come along for the ride?

(And I love cheap preflop calls with weird crap when a decent multiway pot is building)

[/ QUOTE ]

I will fill in more details soon.

Ranges: I can see either of my opponents with a flush draw (with or without a suited K), AK/KQ/KJ/JJ/TT.

What ranges do you put my opponents on here?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 PM

bet 400 and push the river.

that's what I do at least. I don't like overbetting the pot with a monster.

of course, you risk letting someone draw out on your 2 pair, but eh, whattayagonado.

oh, I fold this preflop 100% of the time. if it was suited i might call if i felt like playing loose, but this is just far too weak of a hand. you can only flop so much with this hand to make it worth while.