Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Stars $5R - QQ after rebuy period

Reads - BB is a super LAG, was gamb00ling with almost any two during rebuy period and still seems to have his foot on the gas. SB has shown down mostly high-card hands (AK, KQ, KTs) and showed some bluffs after large overbets during rebuy period.

Image - I have been playing solid poker and probably seemed like a rock. I was up to 12K until level 3, when I put a 5K stack all-in with flopped set of Queens against his flopped flush and failed to improve.

Most of the table was playing pretty tight, even during the rebuy, except for the BB who was in for at least $60.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t9040)
MP2 (t28905)
MP3 (t17690)
CO (t4165)
Button (t2725)
SB (t9835)
BB (t5670)
UTG (t17680)
UTG+1 (t1880)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t525, BB calls t450.

Flop: (t1800) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t5070 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...? )</font>

I put the BB on AK-A2, KT, QT, JT, 22-TT (though I feel like he would have re-raised with 66+ preflop). The huge overbet screams weakness, as I do not see him wanting to scare anyone away with a set or an overpair. I think a club draw or TPWK is the most likely holding.

The SB's range is huge. He cold-called T525 out-of-position, so I have trouble putting him on AA-JJ, AK, as those hands would have reraised. I think AQ-A7s, AQ-AT, 22-99, KQ, KT, QT, JT is about right. On one hand, I think suited high cards are most likely given his play up to this point. On the other hand, the cold call often indicates a small pair, and I am in trouble against TT, 44, 66.

This is a classic sandwhich scenario and I often feel lost - a fold seems weak since I am fairly certain that I am ahead of BB, yet it is tough to put the SB on a range of hands that I am behind to.

Can I call the BB's donkish overbet without being able to close the action?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Stars $5R - QQ after rebuy period

Easy push in a $5R

You are ahead of far too many hands that he does this with.

You mentioned the SB and he did nothing on the flop, did he check his set?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

so you pushed over the top and ran into sb's set?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Results are irrelevant, no?

To me, this is about the situation and my decision: being in a sandwhich between an opponent (who I have a strong read, who I feel like I am ahead of, and who has overbet the pot 3x) and an opponent who I have a fuzzier read because cold-called in the SB who is behind me and has me covered.

What if I told you that SB had AcKc?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 PM

sb called a raise, he has a big stack and its a 5r. He could have LOADS of cards. BB same, and id expect him to have AT,KT, some T generally, or even 88/99. I just push this and don't worry too much about the sb.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if I told you that SB had AcKc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are a slight dog, but the dead $$$ makes it an easy push.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the elaboration, gents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In thinking more about this after reading your comments, I think that you are likely both correct insofar as their ranges are huge and the dead money makes this +EV.

There are three specific things that makes this less clear-cut IMO:

- the size of the stacks relative to the blinds;
- the size of the stacks in relation to the pot;
- the fact that my reads were created largely during the rebuy period.

Since I am a noob (especially when it comes to playing deeper stacks), I have some trouble pushing the button for all my chips on level 5 with an overpair - maybe it's my inner-weak-tighness. If this were a $11 freezeout (adjust relative stack sizes accordingly) and my read on the BB was LAG for the first four levels, I turbo push and light a spliff for good luck. But since I can fold here and still be healthy, I think to myself, "can't I muck and wait for a better (or at least less fishy) spot"?

Thanks again TwistedEcho and WoodGuy/
Old 11-10-2005, 11:40 PM

What are you afraid of? lets think a sec... (bear with me i am thinking this through as i write)

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]KK or AA- would have re-raised PF, no?
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Set- who plays a set that fast
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]two pair- c'mon... no way.... also too fast for two pair...

I would think the more likely possibilities would be:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Top pair- there are draws on board, and maybe he thinks a push could scare out JJ or QQ... but i think he'd be too (rightfully) scared of overpairs to shove it there with TPTK
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Low flush draw, straight draw- he could be semi-bluffing with 7-10 outs... there is a double gutshot with 78 out there... but why push? why not bluff with a pot size bet, plan to call a push... maybe check/fold the turn if it doesn't hit... that's how i like to play a draw here...

And those don't really fit the action very well... It smells like a draw... but it'd be a real big one...

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7c8c, 8c9c, JcQc or AcKc/AcQc... all of which he could conceivably have called PF with (though he shoulda re-raised if it was AcKc, imho) leaving you with basicly a coin flip...

He may even be just a little ahead, but there's a little extra in the pot to compensate for that, and the chance that you have him crushed (when he is on a bluff, TPTK, or a weak draw) is a lot bigger than the chance that he has you dead-to-rights (with a set or AA/KK) so it'd be an unquestioably long-run +EV call, imo, but you COULD fold if you were on the bubble or thopught you'd get better chances...

Chips breed chips though, and i like to play with a big stack... i am eager to push. the SB cannot call a push and a call/push without top set or (maybe) an OESFD here, as well, so i don't worry about him.

okay... maybe i'm way off... i'll read the rest of the thread now... intresting post, great hand to practice deductive hand reading on, ty... hope i helped. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 02:53 AM

I agree, I really want all of the BB's chips, and this is a good spot to accumulate. I might be beat here occasionally, but not enough that I need to lay it down. Plus, I can always suck out if I'm behind [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the SB cannot call a push and a call/push without top set or (maybe) an OESFD here, as well, so i don't worry about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, except for that tiny part, SB is most likely calling (and would be right to call) w/ any set, and probably most two pairs hands.