Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Stars 20+2 hand - pre-flop pot odds/implied odds

25/50 in Stars Noon 20+2.

Reads are that SB has been playing agressively and pulled off a (possible) squeeze play in the BB on the previous hand. UTG+1 has been playing loose-passive, and the rest of the table are leaning that way as well, with only a few pre-flop raises, almost all of which were called. My image is tight, as I haven't had much to get involved with.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

SB (t5215)
BB (t1745)
UTG (t1265)
UTG+1 (t1630)
MP1 (t1020)
MP2 (t880)
Hero (t1625)
CO (t985)
Button (t3020)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t50, Hero calls t50, CO calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t250, MP2 folds, Hero thinks and then folds....

I think I have to give the SB some credit for a big hand, as I think it would be very unusual for him to try a squeeze on two straight hands without a big pair. With UTG+1 calling with most likely overcards or a mid PP, it is 250 into a 750 pot, so I am getting great odds, but the CO is yet to act, and I have no read on him.

I figure I have about 28% equity against SB and UTG+1 if I put them both on Sklansky/Malmuth groups 1-4. If I narrow SB to groups 1 and 2, I am about 25%.

I just felt that my hand was too marginal to continue given my read on the SB.

So... given my reads, good pot-odds, as well as implied odds against a big pair when I flop a 5, do I have a call? I will have T1325 behind if I call. Is my stack deep enough to make a call correct? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Stars 20+2 hand - pre-flop pot odds/implied odds

well first, you can't use

[ QUOTE ]
I figure I have about 28% equity against SB and UTG+1 if I put them both on Sklansky/Malmuth groups 1-4. If I narrow SB to groups 1 and 2, I am about 25%.

[/ QUOTE ]

that stuff now, that's your value when seeing all 5 cards, so it really doesnt help you now. What you need is the odds of hitting a set (7.x:1, for this we'll use 8:1).

The odds the pot is offering you now are 3.1:1, to make a call +ev you need to be able to get that up to 8:1 w/ implied odds. Which means you'll have to take around 1200 from the villains when you hit your 5, and lose nothing else when you don't.

From the looks of it, i think you might be able to get paid off, and your stack will still be alright when you miss... i probably call here.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Stars 20+2 hand - pre-flop pot odds/implied odds

Thanks, yeah the hand groups and equity are irrelevant. I didn't think about that at the time.

I knew the odds of hitting my set. I am having trouble coming up with a sense of implied odds against two opponents - I would assume that my implied odds increase multiway, no?

Thanks again for the response.