Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 PM

Default How do you deal with MANIACS??

I find myself running into completely crazed, bloodthirsty internet maniacs when I play online, and although this has been going on for awhile, it is only now that I am seeking advice. You know those players who raise, especially heads-up, exorbitant, ridiculous amounts (i.e. 50/100 blinds, he has T3500, you have T1500, he raises preflop every hand to T800), goading you to go all-in? I know (and have executed many times) the strategy of "waiting such players out," but that can get extremely dicey with the blinds eating away at you. If anyone has anything to offer, it would be greatly appreciated, because I really hope that there's an alternative to letting the game regress into an "all-in-fest." [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

note: While I'm no high-roller, this is not $2.50 buy-in stuff... I'm talking anywhere from $30 to $50 buy-in online tourneys, so upping the ante isn't an option (at least for me)
Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM

Default Re: How do you deal with MANIACS??

Fold fold fold..

Just sit there and wait for a good hand, slow play it and go in for the kill.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Well, I try to wait for a significantly better than average hand (not necessarily premium), and go ahead and push. Basically, I'll look for medium-to-high suited connectors, Broadway cards with at most 1 gap, or medium-to-high pairs (defining medium as 8 or higher). Then I'll hold my breath and hope I don't catch him when he really does have a hand, or that he doesn't suck out on me. You do have to be willing to risk everything in an NL tourney from time to time. Note that I do not consider myself an especially strong NL or tournament player, so take this for whatever it's worth.

-Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 05:58 PM

I know, I know. But the reason I bring this up is because it's very hard to call a raise for half your stack and then miss the flop and get put all-in... I've run into these jokers many a time in the past, it just seems as though I'm seeing more and more of them.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:02 PM

I definitely appreciate the input. Believe me, I have no problem risking it all in a NL tournament, that's what it's all about, but I just HATE finishing second to those clowns after playing good for the whole tournament, avoiding confrontations with said maniac, and then finding myself unarmed in the Collosseum squared off with a rabid beast, easily eaten away by his massive bets.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

I understand, believe me; they're truly annoying. One thing, though; from your response to gabyyyyy, I think you shouldn't be thinking in terms of calling the PF raise. IMO, you should either push or fold in that situation. It's possible the clown will fold in response to your show of strength, particularly if you've been fairly tight for several of his raises. But if not, he probably has a random hand, and you stand a decent chance of winning the confrontation. Calling shows weakness, and if you're weak enough to just call, I think you should fold instead.

-Mike

[Edit: missed a 'y' in gabyyyyy's name... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]]
Old 12-02-2004, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the reason I bring this up is because it's very hard to call a raise for half your stack and then miss the flop and get put all-in...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's your problem right here. It's extremely rare (although weird situations do come up in tournaments) when you should call for half your stack preflop. Either fold or push all-in. After your call you're almost always committed to pot.

Edit: Sorry Count, I see now you already gave the same advice.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:25 PM

You're definitely right. I appreciate the responses and hope I can avoid those stooges whenever possible...