Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Dog Dilemma (negotiating advice needed)

1st, sorry for the pictures of poop in my last thread. OK, so here's the story. I am finally graduating and moving out of the fraternity house into a nice place in north atlanta. I have been the care taker of our fraternity's dog since we got him 4.5 years ago. He is a fullbred german shepherd professionally trained. I have dicussed my interest in taking him with me when I graduate. Here's where the advice is needed. His total cost to the fraternity was $700 for the dog itself and $2000 for the training way back when.

So how much do I offer the fraternity for the dog? keep in mind that I am the one who took care of this dog...taking him out every morning/night, feeding him everyday, taking him home on vacations, washing him, taking him to the vet, etc. And now after almost 5 years I don't think I can leave him behind. Note that while I was the care taker of the dog, the Fraternity reimbursed me for all medical and food expenses he required so its like I got all the benefits of having a dog without any of the costs.

At first I just wanted to pay for the house to get a new dog ($700) period. But I've heard a couple people disagreeing and they feel that I should pay for the training of the new dog too. So I've gotten kinda mathematical on it. The avg lifespan of a german shepherd is 10.2 years. so he's only got about 5 more years (on average) to live. So I can't pay the full $2700 and be the bitch. So 1/2 price would be $1350. OK, but I've also talked to the vet and the 2nd half of a dogs life is definitely more expensive than the first half. So I feel that a reasonable price is $1000. Also if I leave him here, he will be miserable w/out me. I studied abroad 2 summers ago and left him with someone else incharge and he was seriously depressed. I came home and he'd lost around 15lbs.

OK, so I have to write up a motion to be passed by the fraternity and I'm gong to have to put a price on it. There will be discussion/questions etc. What do I say to the ppl who want me to pay the full price ([censored] you that's absurd, for $3k I might as well get a new dog that will live for 10yrs?).

What would you offer the fraternity given the circumstances and why?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Dog Dilemma (negotiating advice needed)

Offer $1000 and see where it goes from there. The fraternity has all the leverage though, because they know that you're not going to let an extra $1500 get between you and your dog.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Offer $1000 and see where it goes from there. The fraternity has all the leverage though, because they own the dog.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Offer $1000 and see where it goes from there. The fraternity has all the leverage though, because they know that you're not going to let an extra $1500 get between you and your dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I hate not having the upper hand in the negotiations. I just don't want them to take advantage.

I'm thinking of just writing a motion saying I reserve the right to purchase the dog during the spring semester of 2006.

This will 1) allow me to adjust to my work schedule and 2) allow them to observe how miserable the dog will be w/out me.

work want be a problem though. I'm living with AEKDBet and he's always going to be around the apartment playing poker and finishing school etc.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
work want be a problem though. I'm living with AEKDBet and he's always going to be around the apartment playing poker and finishing school etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make him pay for the dog.

Also, I think $1000-1400 is pretty fair considering everything. It's not like an extra $1500 on new training is going to break your fraternity, and they should all realize by now that you've done more for the dog than anyone else.

Besides, a puppy will bring in about 3.8x as many girls as a grown dog. They should be begging you to take it.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, a puppy will bring in about 3.8x as many girls as a grown dog. They should be begging you to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key here. Use this as a main selling point for keeping "your" dog.

Swede
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good pt bone...I will add this to my arsenal of negotiating tactics.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 PM

What are the negotiations like? I kinda get the impression they are not to friendly, which suprises me for frat brothers (There are no frats at my school, so I wouldn't know). I think your best bet is to make your case about all you have done for the dog, and then get really really angry and upset and make them feel like bad people for giving you a hassle. From what you said, I would imagine 1000-1500 is most fair.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:38 PM

The fair thing for you to do is buy the frat the puppy of their choice. Sounds like that won't fly though.

Here are a few random thoughts/arguments to bolster your side:

Did you get reimbursed for your time taking care of the dog? Walking, shopping for food, bathing, taking to the vet, etc. Assuming $5 per hour and 3 hours a week (adjust upward as necessary) over 234 weeks comes out to over $3,500.

Did the dog damage of of your personal possessions/car during the time that you were its caretaker? If so, were you reimbursed for all expenses including your time?

Remember that in the eyes of the law, a dog is property and the owner is responsible for any damages. Don't be an a$$, but there are plenty of comebacks you can use to argue that buying them a new dog is more than generous on your part.

You can also throw in the sappy what is best for Fido argument. Dogs get attached to their primary caretakers and may times get depressed when they are separated from them, so allowing the dog to remain at the house might not be in its best interest. In fact, mention this to one of your frat's little sisters and get her to start beating that drum for you.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the negotiations like? I kinda get the impression they are not to friendly, which suprises me for frat brothers (There are no frats at my school, so I wouldn't know). I think your best bet is to make your case about all you have done for the dog, and then get really really angry and upset and make them feel like bad people for giving you a hassle. From what you said, I would imagine 1000-1500 is most fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not that bad, but when the discussion turns to money, everyone kinda jews-up (I can say this cause I look jewish and have jewish friends). The way things are voted on, everyone wants to be as cheap as possible. We have no problem spending $10,000+ on a homecoming budget (building stupid [censored] for a weekend that is torn down and tossed in the dumpster 5 days later) and $6,000 on Greek-Week (same kinda deal except in the spring)... BUT when someone brings up the idea of buying two new vaccuum cleaners ($250 each), everyone starts arguing that we can get some cheaper than that and the argument will last for an hour and most likely settled for the cheaper ones (that just break in 6 months).

So I expect everyone to pretty much jew up and get me to pay as much as they can. I will still owe a grand at the end of this semester which they can be damn sure they won't see a penny of if they try to get me to pay anything above $1500.