Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Something Eternal

0 + 0 = 0

If there were ever a time in the history of the universe that there was absolute nothing, zip, nada. Then I am convinced there would still be nothing. This proves to me that there must be something that trancends time and is Eternal. Nothing has ever just popped into being without a cause, so I can logically reason that that sort of thing doesn't occur.

Your thoughts...
Old 12-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Something Eternal

How did the thing that transcends time and is eternal come into being?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
0 + 0 = 0

If there were ever a time in the history of the universe that there was absolute nothing, zip, nada. Then I am convinced there would still be nothing. This proves to me that there must be something that trancends time and is Eternal.
Your thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem to give your conviction very freely.

chez
Old 12-17-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
0 + 0 = 0

If there were ever a time in the history of the universe that there was absolute nothing, zip, nada. Then I am convinced there would still be nothing. This proves to me that there must be something that trancends time and is Eternal. Nothing has ever just popped into being without a cause, so I can logically reason that that sort of thing doesn't occur.

Your thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit more complicated than that. According to the big bang theory, there never was a time when there was nothing; it existed as a singularity, eternal (kinda), with properties that are very difficult to understand, given the different nature of reality in that state.

Read <u>A Brief History of Time</u> by Stephen Hawking for a much better explanation; it's a very cool book.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 PM

I agree. Your arguments seems to be dependent on the flow of time.
Time is just another dimension. A dimension that we are so constrained to that we can't imagine anything else.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 PM

Hi,
I agree. If our universe is finite, and it has not always existed, it had to be created in some way. I choose to believe in God, and have mostly a deistic view of God. I simply think this is the most likely explanation for how our reality came into existence. Of course there are an infinite number of other possible exlanations, and they are all untestable. I just happen to believe that with the complexity and inflexibility of the physical laws in our universe, that a "conscious" (not necessarily like our own) force is the source of our reality.

PS- Haven't read Hawking yet, but I intend to. I'm interested to see his explanation of the Big Bang.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing has ever just popped into being without a cause, so I can logically reason that that sort of thing doesn't occur.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even wrong. ( that'd be an upgrade).
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
0 + 0 = 0

Your thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Time is bull, it's a concept, what else is there but the present moment, everything else is a concept, when you transcend concepts you see the continual present moment, when you're stuck in your thoughts you're stuck in thought world which is delusion. God = the present moment, whatever that means. . .
Old 12-22-2005, 03:59 AM

The whole meaning of an eternal being is it wasn't caused, that's what the argument is all about. Because nothing can just pop into existence without a cause, there must have been something that never had a beginning. There is something that has always existed.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 AM

Why not? It makes sense to me. If I can make someone think about their purpose, I have done my job. Eternity and purpose go hand in hand. If I am created by an eternal being, what happens when I die, is that it?