Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 10:42 PM

Default 5 stud?

I'm curious if anybody plays this anymore. I just sat down at a 1/2 Paradise 5-stud table to see what it was like. It seemed like a strange game. For one thing, the ante was .5, as was the bring in. So the pot started pretty huge from the get go. Consequently, I didn't really have the best plan as to how to play.

My strategy was to raise any A if no others were showing, any two if my lowest card was higher than all of the other door cards, and any pair, with slight modifications in the highly unlikely event of crazy pre-3rd action. Does this seem anywhere in the ballpark of correct? I'm guessing it's probably a little too tight given the monstrous antes.

I'm asking for ideas for entertainment/poker acculturation purposes more than anything; I can't see myself wanting to devote time to getting good at this game, given that the structure and nature of the game make it seem like it's going to be subject to utterly ridiculous swings.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: 5 stud?

Try playing 5 card stud on the Prima sites. I played on Royal Vegas for a bit and they have a more forgiving ante structure. As for optimum play in this situation I am not quite sure. I have yet to work out guidelines for myself in huge ante games.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 AM

5stud is worth getting good at. Remember: big antes, play loose-aggressive.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM

I was playing this game for a while and decided to quit while I was (way) ahead. As you say, it was more entertainment value and I didnt really want to play it as my major form of poker entertainment. I think I prefer the game real shorthanded with that big ante so I was usually starting a table and then leaving when it got full. Anyway, I was raising any ace or pair like you and shorthanded would play if one of my cards was a facecard higher than any of the other upcards. THis strategy seemed to work well. you can't wait for only an ace or pair because the ante is so stupidly large. the key is not to chase like everyone else seems to do and you should come away a winner. Without the extra 2 cards like in 7-card, I don't think you are going to hit many redraws.