Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Is Acey Duecy a +EV game

I am assuming most people here know the rules of the game. If not, just ask and I will explain.

Anyway, I used to play the game before I began using a math approach to gambling, and lost my ass, and quit playing. Nowdays, I have been thinking about it again, and it seems like it should be very easy to figure when any bet you make has a +EV. The only part I am confused about is the times when you would have to double your bet if you get the same card again.

Would someone who is math oriented and familiar with this game be able to help me with a basic approach to playing this game with a +EV?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Is Acey Duecy a +EV game

Could you explain please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:19 AM

Are you talking about "In Between"?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 AM

I suck ass at math, but it seems like even i should be able to do this one.

Firstly pot size doesn't matter- i don't think.

13 cards- 2 which double the loss when you hit on the table. X range of winning cards, y is range of cards that you lose to.

So x>y + 4 and y=11-x
so
x> 11-x+4
x>15-x
2x>15
x>7.5
so you need 8 spaces between your cards to bet. And yo always bet the max if your bankroll can stand it.

Edit: there may be some variations- one is that a minimum bet must be made every time or you can pass when ever you want, i don't think this changes your betting strategy any, just you bet the max of gaps 8+ and bet the min all other times. It should still be +ev as long as the min bet isn't a sig % of the pot, but i really couldn't figure that one out.

Also, you should be able to come up with a card counting strategy if only playing with one deck.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:19 PM

as long as youre playing w/ people who make -EV bets, or you are counting cards it is +EV
Old 12-18-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Yes

I think somebody answered it here, but I want to go a little more in depth. Yes, it is +EV. Not all teh people you play it will will play correctly, so with no house cut, it is +EV if you do play it correctly. You need a gap of 8 cards, and you bet the maximum when that is the case, otherwise pass. The rules about you have to doulbe your bet or do whatever when the cards pair or when some other event happens are useless--they do not affect anything since it is equally likely to happen to each person. It's just variance.

If you kept track of every card and knew that there were 8 spaces but that a bunch of the cards you need were gone, you could also pass, and if there were seven spaces but most of the outside cards were gone, you could bet the max. There might be a more refined system, but I'm too lazy to come up with it. I can't imagine a count system that would predict the events like pairs which I said cost nothing and are only variance, but if you played to the end and knew that the next four cards were all the same, obviously you would pass so you don't get stuck with that.