Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Something im completely unsure of

How do you deal with min raises on the big blind? Lets say you have a big stack and the blinds are 50-100 would u call much when a small stack min raised u? I tend to fold all but the best but I feel that this is a mistake.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

SB (t1100)
Hero (t2170)
UTG (t1575)
MP (t2345)
Button (t810)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t350
Old 07-01-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Something im completely unsure of

Well the first thing to consider is that you're being laid 3.5-1 pot odds, which is sufficient to call even if you're dominated by AJ or 77 or some such hand. As a big stack here, with the power to bust the shorty (and become the overall big stack with even more power), a call is definitely in order.

If the button has been known to steal blinds often with minraises, an argument could be made for reraising to put him all in preflop, but i think with his stack that short, and your hand somewhat weak, its not a good idea.

So assuming you call (which IMO is the best play) and the flop has either a J or 7 and is safe otherwise (the only thing i'd be concerned about is a flop with 2 higher broadway), you can probably bust him out or take down the pot, leaving him in even more trouble.

Another thing to consider is the skill level of the button. A good player here, with any kind of a hand (or maybe no hand at all) would raise all in to take the blinds or maybe double up. In this case, a minraise might be a very strong hand which wants some action, in which case a fold isnt a bad idea (Even though the pot odds are still there or close to it if he's doing that with AA,KK,QQ,AK)

Against a fish, however, a minraise is more a weak attempt to steal the blinds. With any hand after the flop, you should be able to take it down.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the first thing to consider is that you're being laid 3.5-1 pot odds, which is sufficient to call even if you're dominated by AJ or 77 or some such hand. As a big stack here, with the power to bust the shorty (and become the overall big stack with even more power), a call is definitely in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, the fact that a shorter stack raised here makes a call less in order. He has less to win if you hit your hand. Don't get involved. Fold here. Play back some other time when you actually have a hand. Calling here and playing J7 OOP is just chip spewing.

Plus, button raised pre-flop 1/4 of his stack. He's much more likely to gamble it up on a whiffed flop. I'm not keen on showing down J7.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:19 PM

I think this line of reasoning only works if the button is a solid player. The fact that he has no idea he should be pushing his stack in tells me he is likely a fish so I would at least check his stats on prophecy. If he is indeed fishy, this is likely a bad attempt at a blind steal and I call preflop and expect to check then call his all in a very good percentage of the time when I pair up on the flop. If his stats are solid I'd expect a monster and fold.

Also I don't think playing out of position is importent as you make is sound when stacks are this shallow. Just IMO.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is indeed fishy, this is likely a bad attempt at a blind steal and I call preflop and expect to check then call his all in a very good percentage of the time when I pair up on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so the 1/3 of the time that you pair up on the flop, you'll call his all-in... What about the other 2/3 of the time? Why get involved here with J7o?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 AM

I agree that the pot odds are good here, but you have little implied odds and your stack is big enough to insulate you against a bed run of cards and bieng blinded for many many hands. Also if you hit the flop you know there is a good chance you will have to call an all-in after the flop, i just dont like being in these situations because if you hit the flop at all you have to call. Thats just me though, and i know i play too tight