Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 AM

Default AQ vs a utg limper

the utg in this case is 37/6/0.8 over 125 hands. so, i am thinking passive, with a healthy WTS%. i've seen him limp with KQ, AKs, you name it. only raised KK and QQ. how is the 3-bet river?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button folds.

River: (6.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.66 BB
Old 12-29-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: AQ vs a utg limper

Well he slowplayed something because that 5 didn't help him 99% of the time. My instincts tell me that he's got something better then a Q more often then not here just because I see people slowplay KJ, TT, 99 more then Q8 or something. He could be on a moronic bluff too. It's pretty close. I'm interested in what others have to say.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:07 AM

There are plenty of boats/straights that he could have. I'm not three betting a passive player in this spot unless i have a read that he will go overly nutso a decent amount. You are risking 2 to win 1. call down, and laugh at a terribly played hand, or call down and breath a sigh that he didn't charge you worse for your top trips.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 PM

Against a very passive post flop player, I don't really like being raised here on the rvr. It would help to have some notes on this player. Being 4 bet on the river by a passive player is almost always going to be the nuts. For many the first raise on the river would probably be the nuts.

So unless I had seen him do some bluff raises , or raising with non-nut hands, I would just call his river raise.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 AM

If he had something like KJ, why didn't he go nuts on the turn? I'm not ready to buy that he has a straight, unless he has abnormal aggression tendencies that suggest he always waits until the river.

I 3-bet this near all the time. If I knew he'd cap it, I probably wouldn't though. He could be raising with any Q, any T, or it might even be a slowplayed AA / KK. Either way, one lousy river raise to me does not signify that trips with top kicker is now a second best hand, so I push it, and punch a small kitten when he caps it.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push it, and punch a small kitten when he caps it.

[/ QUOTE ]

can i borrow your kitten?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM

First instinct say three-bet the river, but knowing that he limps hands like KJ and maybe even TT and 99, I might control myself enough to just call. He's not raising the river with less than trip queens and he prolly'd raised the turn if he had a worse queen. Passive + limps some raising hands + the way the hand played out = call the river.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Preflop: Given your read, I wouldn't three bet him OOP.

River: I think he has to give you some credit for trip Queens, so I'd just call his raise.

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood what you've seen him limp with utg. Have you only seen him limp KQ and AKs, or have you seem him limp lesser hands also?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Oi, first instinct is the auto 3-bet. He'll have KQ QJ here a ton, but 99, TT, J8, KJ a lot too. I'd probably 3-bet, but I'm a dolt.

You should probably cut the post off after you 3-bet. Knowing that villain capped will skew many of these responses. It's a form of results-oriented thinking.