Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Default PLO8 tournament - shortstacked hand selection

I was thinking about this problem as it came up for me today - suppose you're playing a PLO8 tournament and for whatever reason you end up with a rather short stack (say 5BB or less). Given that you've got to make a move sooner rather than later and it's not possible to sit on your hands and wait for something like AA23 ds or other "powerhouses" with good scoop potential, what hands would you move with? Something with a decent chance for high if high cards come, but no chance for low? Low-only cards which are unlikely to win high? Both those possibilities? Neither? Any 4 as you're not likely to be a massive dog anyway?

I'm never sure on what hands to make the move with given the likelyhood that I'll get called , particularly at the loose-passive lower buyin tourneys ($5 and lower) I play where people see JJ52 and their eyes light up. Opinions would be much appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: PLO8 tournament - shortstacked hand selection

Sixfour,

I'm pretty sure the answer is not "any four" but more importantly, the question I would ask is, "how far away from the money am I?"

Would I push with JJ52? Probably not. But I could see stealing situations where I would.

Would I push with A6QJ...yeah, maybe. Probably.

But it's very situationally dependent.

Dave
Old 12-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Any A2, A3, A4

Any hand like A K J 10

I'm also pushing with 2-3-4-6 A-3-5-7 AAxx KK-2-4 J-J-2-3
A-5-6-7 sooted

A-10-9-8 sooted

you get the point, hopefully.

Also, If I see an oppurtunity where I can move in and get like 4-1 or 5-1 on my money, my hand selection is much wider than before.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:33 AM

Mostly what Tx said, but you want two-way possibilities as much as possible. You really want to avoid getting it in with a 40 pt. hand or even worse AT98ss. A4 I'd want it single-suited, or with a pair/two paints. A3 I'd prefer some suit, a 4-5-6, pair and paints. You probably have to shove any A2xx, but be worried if there is a lot of action behind you, it's ok to muck this if your sidecards are horsesh*t and it seems clear someone has A2 or a dreaded AA2/3/4 behind you when raising.

The biggest mistake I see people do when short-stacked in PLO8 tournaments is reverting to Hold'em standards, a.k.a. thinking KKxx, QQxx, JJxx, TTxx are big hands and good for moving all-in with, especially with no low potential. The vast majority of hands you want to play in PLO8 have an Ace, and there's a reason for it. Give me A457 over KKJ4 anyday short-stacked all-in before the flop in PLO8.

If it's folded to you, I think moving in with JJ52 is ok if you're in late position or the people ahead of you are tight/passive. Even with QQ36, you still have a shot at both halves of the pot, but you wouldn't with TTK2.