Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-31-2005, 05:18 PM

Default OOP against bigger stacks with large hands (hand quiz)

OK... maybe this is redundant, but I have found myself numerous times today in the blinds with a nice hand (QQ-99, AK-AQ), facing a 3-5xBB raise from a big stack at the table, while NOT in a bubble situation, and NOT in trouble for chips, although not in any shape to donk around any.

I don't really have a set rule for playing these hands, as I sometimes push and sometimes just call and see the flop (normally, I will call if it is less than 15-20% of my stack, and push otherwise). One thing that is missing fro my game is the stop-n-go... I never seem to remember to use that damn move.....

For the most part, I play SNGs on party at the $20/2 level, although maybe 20% of my SNGplay is at stars (the $15/1 turbos), and I find that, especially at party, that I get called more when I push than I do at stars, although this could be an anomoly(sp?).

I would like to see opinions in 3 different situations:

1. For arguments' sake, let us consider you have no great reads on a big stack(T2000), blinds are 50/100, you have T990 after posting the SB, 6 players left, you are 4th in chips. Big stack open raises from UTG+1 to T250, folded to you (in SB) with AKo..... call and re-evaluate after the flop, stop-n-go, or push?

2. No reads once again, 8 players left, blinds 25/50, you are in BB (T680 after posting) with 99. MP1 (T1490) open raises to T200, all fold to you. Call or push?

3. Level 1 you are SB (T775 after posting) with QQ. UTG+1 raises to 100, with a stack of T1600(he has just eliminated a player with AA, making same raise to 100 pre-flop). There are 9 players left at the table, all fold to you. What is your play here? Would your paly be different if you have JJ? How about TT?

All comments and all reasoning appreciated....
Old 07-31-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: OOP against bigger stacks with large hands (hand quiz)

1. I think you have to push here cuz a.)the pot is 400 chips you need real bad and pushing gives you a real chance at picking them up right here.* b.) he probly dosent have AA, KK cuz you have an ace and a king. (so your probly not more than a 13 to 10 underdog if you even are behind). c.) You want to see all five cards. And d.)I think you have the best hand, you may even have him dominated!
* its important to note that if you push you will be giving your opponent 1.9 to 1 pot odds to call which are almost irresistable, but he still has free will and people will fold to your push enough to make the fold equity from this play a factor.