Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Be careful what you ask for

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the moral of the story is that increasing your hands will not automatically increase your winrate and make you an elite player. You have to be able to play them well also, which might not so easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why many people experience such variance when first incorporating Small Stakes Hold 'em is because it takes you away from the "safe" weak-tight mindset (where you can easily makey money, but very little) to higher variance - and, with that variance, much higher potential ultimately. But if misapplied, many end up doing "worse" in the win/loss bracket than when they were PLAYING "worse" simply because their postflop skills weren't up to snuff.

Another reason why less should be talked about preflop and more postflop, as the arguments you sometimes see of "should I be at 20%?" "no, anything lower than 21.5% is insane" and then "I do X/100 at 22.1%, so eat that with a stick." That is an important discussion but if that's the sole focus, you miss out on the larger picture.

Anyway... those that said it above are right: not enough stealing and not enough defending. But JUST doing more stealing and more defending COULD put you into the deficit if not played correctly in those situations.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com