Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Flopping Nut Flush

This is from a 2/4 live game. Early friday night. Table was very loose-passive preflop (after 1 hour I was the only player to have ever put in a PF raise.)

I am in BB.

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

5 Limp, SB Completes, I check:

Pot: 7 small bets

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checks to Cutoff who bets, Button calls, SB calls, I call, everyone else folds.

Pot: 4.5 big bets (after rake)

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets.

Do I call or raise? Button was already gripping his hand to toss in the muck. Cuttoff is one of those annoying talker types whose likes to show off hi scarey knowledge of the game but won't take those killer skillz to a higher limit...

My read was SB had also flopped a flush and Cuttoff either had set, two pair, or lone heart. He would almost always limp with small PP and Ax (suited or not.)
Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Flopping Nut Flush

I just call SB's turn bet in hope that the CO hit his set or two pair and raises, then you can hit the both of them with a 3-bet or possible cap if the SB 3-bets before you. If that plan fails you would expect the SB to lead out again on the river and you can bust him with your raise at that point.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:51 AM

Hi stinkpaw against retards i think you really need to play this faster. Really just bet and raise every chance you get and let everyone chase their hopeless draws. The flop check is just gonna cost you money when the passives let it check around but three or four of them would have called a bet. Same goes for the turn anyone willing to call one bet here likely calls two. Everyone pisses and moans about how these monkeys never fold and always draw out on them and then when they get a monster hand they completely fail to extract max value from it. Also by checking the flop do you think someone will improve enough on the turn to give you action then that wouldn't have on the flop? I doubt it. Just ram and jam this duder and collect money.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 AM

I think there is enough equity to raise this hand preflop, ESPECIALLY against a passive table.

A bet is obvious on the flop, and if you say that the players are loose-passive then raising the turn is obviously the best action. If CO doesn't come along (he probably will) you will at least gain that BB from the SB. If he has a flush you will probably get more action from him with the nuts.

Raise PF, bet flop, raise turn.

True
Old 12-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Later this weekend I will post my line in detail and what actually happened. I hope to get some good insight from you guys on my analysis of the hand.

SP
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Raise the flop. You have a bettor and 2 callers. Geez, that's the perfect scenario. They all called 1 bet and they will call another. There are so many cards on the turn that completely kill the action and you have no reason to think the CO is going to bet again and no reason to think anyone is calling another bet.

Preflop can be raised in this game.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:41 PM

bet out the flop and try to get a 3 bet in. why try and induce overcalls in early position, it doesnt make sense. if you check it was to plan on raising. Its much better if you are betting andeveryone is calling than if you ae just calling
Old 12-10-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet out the flop and try to get a 3 bet in. why try and induce overcalls in early position, it doesnt make sense. if you check it was to plan on raising. Its much better if you are betting andeveryone is calling than if you ae just calling

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is he was trying to c/r the turn

edit : this is 2/4 live so he was just trying to maximise the pot with the nuts.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:05 PM

fwiw, i almost never ever slowplay flopped flushes in limit holdem. as you get more experience i think you'll quickly find out that fastplaying them is usually best.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 PM

*grunch*

Raise this pre-flop in a loose-passive game. This will create more dead money if you lose players and build pots for when you hit. SSH supports the idea of raising suited broadway in these kinds of games.

As for the rest of the hand, you're going to be out of position throughout so you're best off playing it fast. If you get cute and try to check-raise either a) it'll get checked through and you miss out on value or b) you adverstise your monster and kill your later action. Nobody believes a flopped flush but if a 4th heart falls your action is dead anyway, even from the baby flush.