Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: guidelines/faq - final draft - last chance to comment

you know what will be cool

if the forum for micro limit was set up with sectiosn like top pair with good kicker,middle pair, overcard, over pair, straight draws, flush draws, etc and then people post there hands in the correct section.

this way all similar kind of hands is in one place. it wil be easy to follow..
Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know what will be cool

if the forum for micro limit was set up with sectiosn like top pair with good kicker,middle pair, overcard, over pair, straight draws, flush draws, etc and then people post there hands in the correct section.

this way all similar kind of hands is in one place. it wil be easy to follow..

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets tough when Hero flops a middle pair with an overcard, a straight draw, and a backdoor flush draw all from the same two-card holding . . . just encouraging thoughtful thread titles from posters can eliminate most confusion.

Good work btspider.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:59 PM

Bison just posted a great thread in SS about relative position that may be a good link.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 AM

Where is the sticky thread?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is the sticky thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

under review.. since its more than just posting guidelines, there is some concern that by stickying the post, 2+2 is endorsing the content within... even if i write a disclaimer.

honestly i don't think it will be approved when all is done. i've been in contact with Mason and Mat S. about it.. mason seems anti-sticky in general, even for posting guidelines. i think they are concerned about giving one opinion too much weight.. in particular the references to pokerstove, pokertracker, etc.. mason has said his thoughts, so its down to Mat S. to review the content. he said he'll do it this week.

if its not stickied, i'll post the final version so we can at least point people to it.. ah well.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if its not stickied, i'll post the final version so we can at least point people to it.. ah well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's not stickied, I appreciate the effort (and I'm sure many others feel the same).
Old 01-23-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's not stickied, I appreciate the effort (and I'm sure many others feel the same).

[/ QUOTE ]

just wanted to reiterate the appreciation!

and maybe if it's not stickied, somene will decide to register the name "CheckTheFaq" to battle evil alongside "NoResults".

-t
Old 01-23-2005, 07:23 PM

I think Ed's training wheels post should be added to the links section, has an important concept that we should all realize at some point.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:15 PM

First, let me say great work for doing this... it will be really helpful and will weed out a lot of the recurring questions....

Now, I have some comments on a lot of the stats.

[ QUOTE ]
PFR: preflop raise (%). The typical range is 8-10. A few posters exceed 10, but many posters begin their first 10K hands at or below 8. Some suggest that PFR should be half your VPIP, but that's an effectual coincidence and should not be your goal. If you only have a VPIP of 14 or 15, you will still often have the same PFR of 8-9 as someone with a higher VPIP. Your PFR will often be higher in LP than in EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, but you might want to include something about if you choose to play with a low vpip... (around 13% or so and people do win consistently with 13% vpip, especially multitablers) then PFR would be a bit lower since some of the choices not to play preflop would be proper raises if you did play. Just a thought. Sometimes really solid players can have this be as low as 6.5 or 7.

[ QUOTE ]
VPIP from SB: typical range 30-38. This stat varies greatly by your table selection. If you typically play at passive games, you can expect this to be on the higher end. If you are in aggressive games, it will be lower. If its much lower than 30, you are missing out on a few profitable situations for the half-price. If its much higher than 40, you are probably playing too much and underestimating the difficulties of playing out of position postflop. Consult a starting hand chart for more information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does everyone agree with this lower bound being 30%? I think it really depends on the particular game you are playing and the style of the opponents. Also, playing lower often means you dont' play with extra marginal hands, which means you pay a lot less rake inthe long run. I think the range should be extended down to 20% or even lower.

[ QUOTE ]
W$SD: won $ at showdown. Varies between 50-58. Below 50 often indicates that you are seeing too many showdowns while a number which is too high may indicate that you are folding too many winners. In limit holdem, a pot is often quite large on the end, thus you often need to be quite sure that you don't have the best hand to make folding on the end correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cutting this off at 58 is not quite right. Plus, you'd be suprised how long it takes this to converge. I once wrote a post on the standard deviation of this number. How long this number takes to converge should be included....

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1

Also, click here to see someone's stats who are outside a lot of your ranges entirely. Just something to consider.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM

Am I that far off-base? or is the thread considered dead?