Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Default A proposal for a new type of tournament

Don't get me wrong I love the gambling aspect of poker where my AQ can suck out on an AK preflop to double up (or i can win money longterm by taking the AK vs AQ matchup). But what about a new type of tournament that is more fair to a player.

My proposal is for the first half, three quarters etc of a tournament to have any all in showdown before the river pay out based on the odds that a certain hand will win. So if AQ goes against A2 preflop AQ will get 73% of the pot and A2 will get 27%. This will acomplish a few things. First it will make the better players stay in the game longer with better decision making and no fear of losing to suckouts. Conversly it'll be harder to accumulate chips with all in plays this way for good aggressive players but that leads me to my second point. It will reward players for playing poker until the river by paying out 100% of the pot to a person who has a 100% lock on a hand and doesn't feel the need to push a small edge before all the cards are out.

By no means do I think this should replace traditional poker at all but I'm sure there would be some people who would like to give this a shot.

Alright time to flame away.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: A proposal for a new type of tournament

Fish would hate it.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 PM

This would take forever.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would take forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-03-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This would take forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you're not drawing dead you stick around. You pretty much have to play everything to the river. meh
Old 12-03-2005, 12:05 AM

Fish would most certainly hate it, but I like the concept. Would definitely need alot of tweaking with the percentages and so on.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright time to flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think poker tournaments should be half poker playing, half fort-building contest. The player who creates the best and most protective fort out of their chips is allowed to hide behind them for a predetermined amount of time (just long enough to barely eek into the money, if their Fort Hiding Time, or FHT, doesn't run out first), and not be forced into any kind of poker playing, risk taking, or otherwise unpredictable situations whatsoever.

Of course, the forts could contain a little window that will allow the player to peer out and see if they might have Aces, in which case they can rejoin the poker game to play if they'd like. 'Better' players will probably pass up the opportunity to play the Aces if too many players have entered the pot before them, because you won't be able to raise them off it and everyone knows Aces sometimes don't hold up multi-way.

This will of course reduce the fear and frequency of suckouts, making poker the game it was intended to be.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 AM

I actually thought about this exact thing yesterday. I can't think of a way to actually make it work, but it's a good idea.

I was thinking something to the extent of decision making. A player wins/lose a hand based on pot odds decision. If you called an all win without the proper odds to win, you automatically lose the hand. If you made a good pot odds decision, the hand plays out as usual.

Obviously, there's no real way of making this work.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:08 AM

What's the point? Without luck Phil Helmuth would win every single one of these anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 12:09 AM

I sincerely, sincerely hope that this game is never invented. If it were, fish would not never have a chance to get lucky several times in a row in a STT or MTT, and thus would win even less than they do. Therefore, they would no longer play poker, and we'd all be back to working 9-5.

I'll take the suckouts and the high hourly rate, thank you.