Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: How good a driver are you?

I would guess that I'm a pretty good driver. I've only had my license for 6 years but I've never been pulled over or in any sort of accident. Most of that time was driving a pickup that was a manual.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people claim to be great drivers and then they are weaving in and out of traffic going 90, yeah, riiiiite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, if the "good drivers" would follow the "slower traffic keep left" rule instead of camping out in the passing lane at 60 mph, there would be no need to weave.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I live in Houston

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I hadn't heard.

I'm not really an "adult" per say, but I would guess 10-20% of NYers (manhattanites) have cars, i dont really know far they drive.

I can drive slowly and have some basic skills, I've driven about 10 hours (practice) in basically empty streets. I have never driven on a highway, but I have some experience. I could learn pretty quickly IMO.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that I'm a pretty good driver. I've only had my license for 6 years but I've never been pulled over or in any sort of accident. Most of that time was driving a pickup that was a manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never even been pulled over?

I'm amazed, almost to the point of disbelief. Please explain.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM

are you defining "good driver" as someone who has not been in an accident? a courteous driver? a driver that can pull a 180 for a perfect park in their driveway after driving 80 down their cul-de-sac?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM

I thought I was a good driver because I never had an accident or a ticket until I went through some specialized courses and then it became painfully obvious that I was not. There are some great accident avoidance and other driving courses out there that I think would benefit everyone behind the wheel. This is where I took my courses (close to DC) but there are places like this all around the country. BSR, INC
Old 11-17-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's there to explain.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was Carlin who said that most Americans would never admit to two things: being a terrible driver and not having a sense of humor.

So I can see where this thread is going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlin:

Anybody driving slower than you are, is an idiot.
Anybody driving faster than you are, is a maniac.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's there to explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot. How many miles has he driven?

How has he not been pulled over at a random DWI check?

How has he never had a tail-light go out at night and been pulled over by a cop looking to find someone with an expired sticker as well, perhaps?

Does he drive a nice car?

It seems like a teenager driving a crappy car will get pulled over religiously. Especially if they have a taillight out. That is the easiest excuse for a cop to pull you over.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 PM

I've been driving for 22 years. Class 1 licence (allowed to drive anything). No dings, scratches or accidents. I own a transportation company that employs 35+ drivers and I oversee our two driver trainer/instructors and our driver training program.

My definition of a good driver or "good driving" is that you not cause anyone else on the road to alter the way they were driving just because they are sharing the road with you. If you do not cause anyone to brake, accelerate or swerve when they normally wouldn't have . . . then you are a good driver. If your actions don't generally cause surprise to other drivers, (cause you suddenly appeared out of no where) then you are likey a good driver.

My guess would be that less than 20% of all drivers on the road are actually "good" drivers.

my 2 cents

busguy