Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Where is the leak in my game?

Yes, I know there may be several, but I was hoping people could give me whatever insights they had.

I am currently at -0.71 BB/100 Hands

Here are my general stats from PokerTracker:

Game Level: 3/6 (6 max)
Total Hands: 2551
Vol. Put $ in Pot: 21.76%
Vol. Put $ in From SB: 31.88%
Folded SB to Steal: 80%
Folded BB to Steal: 63%
Att. to Steal Blinds: 20.12%
Won $ WSF%: 34.42%
Went to SD%: 28.40%
Won $ at SD: 53%
PF Raise %: 9.64

I try and play fairly tight and aggressive, and I avoid one major leak by not cold calling raises preflop unless I have premium enough cards to do so (and in those cases I almost always raise).

One thing that strikes me from looking at these stats is that I may be folding my blinds off too much, and also might not be attempting to steal as much as I should. If that's right, does anyone have any recommendations as to what those percentages should be around, if mine aren't right?

Also, I think my showdown win rate is decently respectable - 53%. However, am I going to showdown too often? Is 28% too high?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Where is the leak in my game?

Everything looks ok to me, I'm no poker tracker guru though.

Have you considered that 2551 hands doesn't mean anything at all for winrate?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing that strikes me from looking at these stats is that

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like one bad session. Ask this when you have tens of thousands of hands. In the meantime post hands. Partake is discussions of hands.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:36 PM

You are calling too much from the small blind. Try to get your VPIP from the SB under 20%. (3/6 has a 1/3 blind structure).
Old 10-09-2005, 05:05 PM

[grunch]

I am far from a 6max guru, and 2551 hands means less than nothing statistically, but for what it's worth...

You're playing too tight for 6max. Playing a 21.76% VPIP on 6max games, especially relatively aggressive ones like 3/6, will get you eaten alive by the blinds + rake. I believe that you should be looking to bring that up to at least 25%.

-You're folding to blind steals too often, especially in the BB. Stealing the blinds (and defending against steals) is a crucial skill if you want to win at 6max; you can't just let your opponents run over your blinds like that.

-You aren't trying to steal the blinds nearly enough--this number should be at least 30% in a 6max game, preferably higher. This combination of not stealing blinds often enough and giving your own up too easily will make you a loser at 3/6 6max by itself.

-You aren't going to showdown enough. For a full ring game, this should be somewhere in the low 30's; for 6max, I'd say a bit higher than that. You can't play a weak/tight game in 6max & win.

-You aren't raising enough preflop. Part of this is your lack of blind steal attempts, I'm sure, but this number should be significantly higher than 10%; I would say in the 15% range.

Like I said, the sample size is insignificant so part of the problem could just be running cold, but if these numbers are even close to typical for you, you need to retool your game in order to succeed at 6max. I would highly recommend dropping back down to 1/2 6max (or 2/4 6max if available on your site) to work on this.

[/grunch]