Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 PM

Default JJ in a blind battle on a Q high flop

Reads: I only have about 30 hands on Button in my database, but the name seems very familiar & he's acted very much like a TAG over those 30 hands; I think it's a 2+2'er, but I'm not positive. He's probably at least someone that I had played against several times before my computer crashed & killed my old PT database.

My own table image blows. I've been playing good, straightforward TAG poker, but the flops have been killing me so far. In about 3 orbits at the table, I've never won at showdown & have only won one pot, period. However, I've had some good preflop hands & have PFR'd several times, only to be forced to fold later in the hand.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, planning to check/raise a bet...

I am obviously going on the assumption that villain views me as a crazy LAG based on my play so far at the table. Based on that line of thought, I don't think that I can fold to a 3-bet.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Re: JJ in a blind battle on a Q high flop

If you can't fold to a 3-bet, then why not donk bet the turn, take away the free card, and just call down if raised?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Blind battles are very psychological, You think he thinks your a crazy LAG. I'd play to that. 3 bet the flop, he might cap it... good. Then lead the turn, but once you c/r him, he might think your not so crazy and assign you the 'thinking' tag. You don't want that, you want him to play you for the fool. So keep betting, but definately no fancy stuff (yes i know c/r is not fancy, but its too fancy for a donk/maniac)

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 AM

Another 2cents from me but, this hand is far more interesting than many of the others currently on the forum. Certainly better than "Should I raise PF with KQ etc"
"BUMP"

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Meh. I thought this was a pretty interesting hand, too, but I guess not. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I got in the check/raise on the turn and he called it. But before I could get worried enough to check/call the river I caught a J there and led...he called with 77, and MHIG.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM

well if you have to call a 3-bet, and there's essentially zero chance to fold a Q, why are you making a turn play that seems intentioned to get your villain here to fold right then?