Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 02:07 PM

Default AA - to fold or not to fold?

I can't get my hand history from work, so I'm going off my recollection of the hand.

This is a $20 on Party. Level 2 blinds. 9 players left.

Hero has AA on the button. 3 limpers, I make it 3x to 90. SB calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB makes it 100. Folds around to CO who makes it 200. I reraise all-in and get called by both villains.

Looking back at the hand, this should be an easy fold right? I had SB on top pair as he seemed like a weak player, but really had no read on CO. Again it was early on in the tourney.

How was my line? Results to come.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: AA - to fold or not to fold?

$22. not an easy fold. not even a fold. with the information you gave us (missing stack sizes, etc), you played it right.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:09 PM

First, with three limpers before, I would raise to more than 100 -- maybe 150. Second, no, this is not an "easy fold" like you said. I don't mind pushing over-the-top all in, considering your only other option is really to put in a nice 500 chip re-raise, and by then, if someone pushes, you've got to call.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM

raise more preflop 125-200 range, preferably in the higher end of that range-- then get your money in on ANY flop.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise more preflop 125-200 range, preferably in the higher end of that range-- then get your money in on ANY flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2005, 02:12 PM

u should raise at least 3xbb+1x for limpers (some say 2x for limpers)...so 180 if u do that...so 150 or 200 would be better than 90

after the flop, if someone wants to call ur push with a flush draw, let em...if someone has a q, let em call...the only thing that they have where they are ahead is qq, 66, 88, q8, q6, 86
Old 07-21-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't get my hand history from work, so I'm going off my recollection of the hand.

This is a $20 on Party. Level 2 blinds. 9 players left.

Hero has AA on the button. 3 limpers, I make it 3x to 90. SB calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB makes it 100. Folds around to CO who makes it 200. I reraise all-in and get called by both villains.

Looking back at the hand, this should be an easy fold right? I had SB on top pair as he seemed like a weak player, but really had no read on CO. Again it was early on in the tourney.

How was my line? Results to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not fold. It makes me sad.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Sorry about the stack sizes. I had about 950 and they both had roughly 700-800.

Yeah, I agree the PF raise was just asking for lots of customers. As far as the flop play, yeah a raise wasnt in question for the reasons you guys brought up.

My only other thought was calling and pushing the turn, but I'm pretty sure CO would've probably bet out, making my push worthless.

Anyway, SB showed Qx for top pair and CO showed Kxs for the flush draw. The turn was a Q for SBs trips and the river the flush card for CO. Based on the results, I'd push this all day. Trying not to be results-oriented though, am I behind enough in this situation to justify a fold this early in a tourney. I wasn't pot-committed to the hand (is this too weak?).

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:38 PM

Your never behind often enough for this to be a fold.

I think this is true at the higher levels, though id be interested in knowing if some disagreed.

Phill
Old 07-21-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn was a Q for SBs trips and the river the flush card for CO. Based on the results, I'd push this all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny- Based on the results, I'd fold all day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]