Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Hypothetical strategy and rules situation

Here is a hypothetical question based on thinking about an actual hand I played today in $22 SNG at Party.

Blinds are 100/200 5 or 6 players remain. BB has 100 chips left after posting his BB of 200.

I (or you) am dealt pocket Aces under the gun. I had 1100 chips and pushed.

Upon review, I am thinking I should have smooth called. My question is, assuming the BB will push his remaining 100, do the rules at Party allow me to push all in after the BB raises his remaining 100?

If not how many chips must the BB have to allow me to reraise?

If the rules allow me to pop it again, it seems like calling allows me to potentially extract an extra 100 chips from the SB, or any others that jump in the pot.

Comment from a strategy and/or rules perspective please.

Thanks,

KennyBanya
Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical strategy and rules situation

his raise must equal the minimum raise amount for you to reraise (T200). i too would smooth call with hope later action might try to isolate and pick up the potential 'dead' chips in the BB.

Edit: eh, scratch that. a smooth gets SB in w/ just about any two. perhaps a minraise is more in order.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 AM

A min raise gives the SB pretty good odds though. Assuming the BB calls thats 800 in the middle, and it only costs him 300 more. That is 2.66 to 1 plus more in implied odds, as I likely cant get away from my aces.

If I could reraise after the BB completes, I think calling is the way to go. Since you are telling me I cant reraise I think pushing is the way to go.

Banya
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 AM

I disagree with the all in bet. In this scenario, you have to view the BB as dead money. He should be in the pot no matter what he has. I think a raise of 3x the big blind is in order. It may look like you are trying to steal and may encourage someone to re-raise you (depending on the chip stacks). Having somone with actual money play back at you is in your best interest.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 AM

Not to mention that a clever BB might realize that an UTG limp is suspicious and just check his option.

Additionally, a thinking BB might check with a weak hand and push any flop (better chance to win the pot if everyone else missed)

I think you should still open raise here, to avoid tragic beats by hands that shouldnt be in the pot. Getting your rockets cracked hurts even more when it happens because you got cute with them.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM

But I started with T1100. If I raise 3xBB that only leaves me with T500. Anyone who plays back at me should realize I am already pot committed.

I am still certain it is a call or push situation. After further deliberation and feedback from others, I say all in is the way to go.

Thanks for your comments,

KennyBanya
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Rules Update from Citanul

After reading a recent post by Citanul it appears that my limp reraise idea originally stated at the top of this thread may be possible under PP rules.

If I call it appears I can actually reraise if the BB raises his few remaining chips.

I am flip flopping again to say I will call if this type of situation presents itself again.

Citanul's Post

This thread is the best discussion I have ever had with myself.

Later,

KennyBanya