Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: All you lifters out there, general discussion

I am not a juiced up, Mr. Olympia, but i am pretty serious about weight training, and i use a lot more sets per bodypart than indicated here.
The systemic overwork ur talking of, only occurs if you do not get enough nutrients for ur muscle to recover and u do not get enough sleep/rest period.
i never said 5 days a week for a beginner, 4 would suffice.
For some1 who has been lifting seriously for over a year i would say 5(i work out 6 days a week).
How many sets per body part are u recommending?
2?
I would honestly love to see any1 with any decent amount of strength /muscle mass(read bench press over 275lbs, squat over 365 lbs Deadlift over 315 for at least a 5rm ) have a workout routine that doesnt comprise of at least 12 sets per body part.
No one needs to do flyes for strength.
Umm yes they do, i wish i could show u all the articles in Flex and Muscle& Fitness magazine about this(which have been written by M.D.s almost exclusively).
No1 but a juiced up Mr. Olympia needs to do 12 sets to failure?
Umm..how other than doing a set to failure to expect to increase muscle mass, or strength?
If you do not tax ur muscles they are not going to grow. Lemme give u an example...would lifting a pillow weighing a lot less than 1 lb as a bench press significantly increase strength. Why? Because you cannot go to failure with that, unless u do about 2000 reps.
Its your advice, ull stick to it...fine..
Its just incorrect, and im sure the users of 2+2(even oot) wouldnt mind a correct opinion from some1 who knows what theyre talking about once in a while.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm yes they do, i wish i could show u all the articles in Flex and Muscle& Fitness magazine about this(which have been written by M.D.s almost exclusively).

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa! There went any shred of credibility you had.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh??????????
Old 07-01-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean reading Flex wont give me cannonball like shoulders within 2 weeks if I just use their routine? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And yeah, citing flex doesnt exactly make me think you actually know a damn thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Dude, powerlifters don't do twelve sets and more per body part. They tend to do few sets, few reps.

And do whole body movements, not isolate body parts all that much.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Umm yes they do, i wish i could show u all the articles in Flex and Muscle& Fitness magazine about this (which have been written by M.D.s almost exclusively).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's over, you lose.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:01 PM

No point arguing with you guys. I just thought some1 might like correct advice about something i know about, and i only did it cuz AZK asked me to, saying it would be appreciated.
Ill stick to MHNL.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:10 PM

I don't know who "you guys" is supposed to be, but I made a simple and true statement. If that was against some sort of rules or something, you should have said so in the first place.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:19 PM

While I don't agree with this kid's overly simplification of things (though honestly-how harmless can that be compared to being fat and lazy?) I think that not enough weightlifters give high(er) volume training systems a chance.

Aside from a good number of them lacking sorely in their nutrition and rest too many try to apply the same principles they do for HIT-type programs. Namely they take sets to failure and spend too much time emphasizing the eccentric (negative) portion of the lift. Both of these things place tremendous strees the Central Nervous system and doing them twice a week will inexorably lead one into a state of overtraining. However, once previous high volume lifters get over having to take every set to failure and lifting a bit faster (still controlled) then they can reap the benefits of high volume training if nothing more than a different stimulus.

Similarly, people do forget that genetics play a huge role in how we respond to training and dieting. While we are all human beings, and thus certain physiological laws remain, the simple fact is that some people can get by training each bodypart twice-and in certain rare cases three times-a week.

A very popular high volume protocol (the most popular being the Arnold training programs found in Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding is German Volume Training
I recommend that all lifters give programs like these a try and see how they respond much like I tell volume freaks to try adding workouts which emphasize strength to their rotation.

The point is to constantly tinker with your weight training protocol to see how you respond to it but most importantly to keep your mind and body fresh