Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: All you lifters out there, general discussion

I know I know...you're right. I have such difficulty lifting two muscles the same day since I've been exposed to this training technique. I never feel like I'm doing both fully when I know I have to do 2. I'm either spent from doing 1 first and the other gets neglected or I work both equally, but not as much if I had done them each on one day...
Old 06-26-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm convinced a full-body routine is the way to go. I also think too many people do way too many exercises. I think sticking with the big three (Deads, Squat, Bench) is all most people need (5x5). Maybe substitute Cleans for Deads on occasion or Military Presses for the Bench occasionally. Frankly I think 99% of the bodybuilding books should be burned, along with the magazines. People don't need all these little isolation exercises unless you're competing for Mr. Olympia or something. Lately I haven't had much time so I've been just doing the clean & press. It's a great exercise that works you top to bottom. I'm also a big fan of these silly little things...
Old 06-26-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm convinced a full-body routine is the way to go. I also think too many people do way too many exercises. I think sticking with the big three (Deads, Squat, Bench) is all most people need (5x5). Maybe substitute Cleans for Deads on occasion or Military Presses for the Bench occasionally. Frankly I think 99% of the bodybuilding books should be burned, along with the magazines. People don't need all these little isolation exercises unless you're competing for Mr. Olympia or something. Lately I haven't had much time so I've been just doing the clean & press. It's a great exercise that works you top to bottom. I'm also a big fan of these silly little things...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those things are difficult, and overpriced. I made one for $7 in Home Depot parts.

I do a 2-day cycle. Day 1 is pull exercises (mainly back and biceps) and Day 2 is push exercises (mainly chest and triceps). Abs are done on both days. Add in a day 3 of legs and heavy trunk work if you want a complete workout, but I like to let running and biking take care of my legs.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those things are difficult, and overpriced. I made one for $7 in Home Depot parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try doing the wheel from a standing position w/o knees touching. Pretty tough. I got mine for <$3 on sale at Sports Authority. It's a great core trunk exercise.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think sticking with the big three (Deads, Squat, Bench) is all most people need (5x5).

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this advice on here before and have tried it. It seems to be good advice.

I think there are 2 things that I think are the most important which have yet to be mentioned.

1. Time

People will make most of their gains in the first year of lifting. Then the gains are smaller and people seem to quit. Sticking to it for the long-term is key. Certain times of the year must be easier so you can rest and avoid injury but never stop for more than 2 weeks or a month. The biggest mistake I have made in the past is stopping for too long. Normally to focus on cario.

2. Intensity

Hard to explain but you control the intensity of any lift or exercise movement. That's why jake gets so much out of the little wheel thing and others think they are junk. He does the movements with good form and they work the muscles thoroughly.

To increase intensity it is often required to lower the weight. The speed of the movement is important also. Never use the momentum of the movement to help move the weight. The positive and the negative parts of the movement should require effort. At no point in-between reps should you have a rest period.

Intensity is hard to explain but it is a form of self-torture in my mind. I think of ways I can make each rep harder. You don't even need weights I am currently doing pushups, pull-ups, chins, dips, weightless squats. I have done squats with over 300 pounds before but doing them with better form without weight can be just as hard.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice thread.

My routine is 3 days as well, Monday Wednesday and Friday. I do my biceps, back, pecs, obliques, and forearms on Monday and Friday, and my lower body on Tuesday. I also do abs nearly every day (body by jake, tae bo abs, "the firm" abs exercise. I do very little cardio, however I do run on a treadmill Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I am also on the "abs diet" (www.absdiet.com) so my health habits of about the last month have been pretty decent. Ton of protein and low fat food = big muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to the absdiet website and it looks interesting. But I'm skeptical, especially when I see the typical hype like "Get Abs like these in JUST 6 WEEKS!" (points to a male model's chiseled 6 pack).

To anyone familiar with the absdiet program:

Why do you like it?

Which products did you buy?

How would you compare it to other options?

Thanks,

-ptmusic, a formerly athletic thin guy
Old 06-26-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do a 2-day cycle. Day 1 is pull exercises (mainly back and biceps) and Day 2 is push exercises (mainly chest and triceps). Abs are done on both days. Add in a day 3 of legs and heavy trunk work if you want a complete workout, but I like to let running and biking take care of my legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same upper body cycle. I work legs in on one of the days just doing back squats. Squats are definitely my favorite excercise. I'd like to do twice my body weight with good form, within the next 6 months or so.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-26-2005, 04:11 PM

I just do some cardio, eat properly and do curls/presses. I lost 10 lbs with this, seems to be working.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Stuey is on to something regarding not needing weights. I lifted weights religiously for 20 years. I made significant size and strength gains immediately. Over time I developed nagging injuries to my shoulders and lower back. The shoulder injury progressed to full blown arthritis.

For the last 4 months I have performed only bodyweight calisthenics and the results have been amazing. Exercises such as pushups, handstands, neck bridging, hill sprints and rope jumping have helped me drop 3 inches from my waist size while improving balance and flexibility dramatically.

For those that feel that you can not maintain strength without lifting weights I recently hit a new maximum in chinups that I never achieved while lifting weights. Handstands and handstand pushups work the back, shoulders, arms and hands like no other exercise I have done in the past.

As far as aerobic exercise goes, jumping rope blows away any stationary bike, elliptical machine or stairclimber in a fraction of the time.

For anyone who feels stale from weight lifting give these exercises a try for a few weeks and see if you don't see remarkable progress.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:35 PM

I have only been on it for two weeks so far. I have not seen much visible result, but the logic in the book makes a ton of sense and I am pretty confident that in the end I will be happy with the result. A lot can happen in 4 weeks.

Aside from having no visible results, I feel great, always have plenty of energy, and have gained about 6 lbs w/ a weight increase across the board at the gym.