Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-03-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Calling down with TT

UTG+1 is a maniac, though he hasn't raised much preflop over 50 hands. MP1 is TAG. I couldn't find the raise or fold button at any time in this hand. Good or bad?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB
Old 05-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Calling down with TT

fold this preflop.... and believe me, it must have really been bad if im commenting about the preflop play. calling 3 cold with TT is AWFUL imo. looks like your losing to JJ or AJ from utg, mp's ak missed? close?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:16 PM

After making fun of weak-tight advice and then subsequently suggesting some in another thread, I am going to say that I am considering the weak-tight plan of folding preflop.

It depends on what you mean by UTG+1 hasn't raised much in 50 hands. If he has raised 2 or less times, then I'd consider folding. Because he may be a maniac postflop, but then it would suggest that he likely only raises with premium hands.

It's not clear that MP1 has that strong of a hand, as he may be trying to isolate the maniac (and might not be aware of the maniac's relatively sane preflop raising standards).

All that said, I'm inclined to cap preflop, and then postflop I think is fine. You don't have much folding equity, and you're almost surely going to be played back at. This would be fine if UTG+1 had poor pre-flop raising standards, but it's much trickier when he has an overpair or set at least 25% of the time here.

All in all this is a tough hand, and I'm pretty sure I don't know how to play it correctly.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 PM

I agree with your read that MP probably has missed overcards.

From the description, UTG+1 is a maniac postflop, so I think he's betting any two on all three streets here. The problem is that his preflop raise indicates a good hand. But he could easily be pushing AK, AQ, KQ, 99, 88 here.

It seems to me that TT is too good to fold and not good enough to play. That's a tough spot to be in. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 05:19 PM

I fold this preflop. 3 bets to me means I'm, at best, up against 2 players with overcards, and very possibly facing a bigger pair than mine. Even a fish gets agressive with big pairs preflop. Optionally, cap the betting and hope to get the TAG to fold post flop.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:28 PM

I don't understand how we are giving credit to a maniacs had preflop just because we haven't noticed him raise much preflop. Hero is in position against a TAG thats probably isolating the maniac, so his range is huge. TT looks like a real nice hand here. I'm probably capping this hand preflop.

Failing that, I put a raise in on the turn. The tag isn't taking control of the hand with you in it, raise the turn to charge him for drawing. There's only 1 overcard to your pair on this flop.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:32 PM

If any player only raises PF once or twice in 50 hands, I consider him to have tight PF raising standards. The fact that he gets out of line postflop seems irrelevant to this. Obviously, the villain likes to call a lot of flops and then grossly overbet his hand from that point on. Why would I respect his PF raise any less because of that?

I agree that his play is very odd, as most maniacs also love to raise way too much preflop. But if someone with a PFR of 2% or 4% after 50 hands raises PF, he probably has a real hand.

If the OP meant by he doesn't raise too much after 50 hands that he has only raised 8 times (16%), then that's a different story. Then I think you have to cap preflop and cross your fingers.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that his play is very odd, as most maniacs also love to raise way too much preflop. But if someone with a PFR of 2% or 4% after 50 hands raises PF, he probably has a real hand.

If the OP meant by he doesn't raise too much after 50 hands that he has only raised 8 times (16%), then that's a different story. Then I think you have to cap preflop and cross your fingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you'll be suprised when looking at pfr numbers what gets raised. I don't think you can assume from a low pfr% that this guy is only playing AA-QQ. A 3% PFR is AA-JJ and AK. Against this range I am plaing my TT. Over 50 hands a 3% pfrer will on average have raised 1.5 times. This is way to small of a sample to accurately know how often this guy raised. The OP said he's only raised a couple of times in 50 hands, thats already over 3% and already enough that I want to play my hand. In addition, even if the TAG is clueless, his 3-betting standards at worse is probably AA-TT, AK. A range wide enough where we are still ahead of 50% of those hands assuming these two clowns don't share any outs. I'm not going to dump a premium hand because of a PT read with way insufficient sample size. This maniac is a clown post flop, there is little reason to suspect that he doesn't have clown like tendancies preflop.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:45 PM

If you think you can play TT against a raise and a reraise, you must definitely bet on the flop and on the turn (the board is much more favorable than you could have expected). If you believe that you are probably against a higher pair, there is no point in calling preflop.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:47 PM

He had raised exactly twice in those 50 hands, which is about 4%, and I do agree with you about the sample size, which was what swayed me to play. I also now think that I should have capped. Flatcalling sucks.