Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Default I took Josh\'s Preflop Challenge for 1000 hands

LAG reporting here....

I took Josh's Preflop challenge while clearing my bonus at PokerRoom. At one point, an observant player sucked with out with K2 (caught 2 pair on the river), and I had AA. He said "You've been raising with so much crap over there, now you had it!". I laughed at that point and said, "Good point." I was raising things like K9s and so forth from LP.

I lost money. (Not necessarily due to this topic)

However, I do think I learned some of what the point was. And I think the point was to see how powerful the PF raise is and just how much position really benefits you.

Also, it was a lot of fun!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:06 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: I took Josh\'s Preflop Challenge for 1000 hands

can you list some of the raises you had to make that you don't normally make?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Certainly, I'd like to post some, but I've just found out how to get my PokerRoom HH into PT (I needed the new version of PT, I just had the old one).

Anyway:

Small suited Broadways - this is a fairly common raise for me in LP with only 1 or 2 limpers that play poorly, but I did it regardless of the action or the limpers yesterday.

Small pps - I don't raise these LP, almost ever. There were a couple of times when I flopped my set on a really ragged non-broadway board and really cashed in because of the deception involved in the PF raise.

Mid pairs EP - mostly 77,88 as I frequently with raise 99 in a loose game. I was amazed at how frequently it was simply folded around at that point.

Suited connectors - 67s, 78s, 89s, 9Ts - the one thing I really liked about this was that I was often offered a free card on the flop if I felt like it.

Suited Aces and K9s

I'm going to download my HH when I get home, and see what my stats were, but I want to say I was real close to about 18/15. For some reason, the spirit of this challenge had me loosen up as well....
Old 04-28-2005, 01:53 PM

I think I get the gist of it, but what specifically was involved in the challenge?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I get the gist of it, but what specifically was involved in the challenge?

[/ QUOTE ]

limping=illegal except for 22-44 or something like that.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:05 PM

link
Old 04-28-2005, 02:16 PM

did you do any folding in EP with hands that you'd normally limp? which ones?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can you list some of the raises you had to make that you don't normally make?

[/ QUOTE ]

Time for me to hijack this thread -- sorry Q-Tip.

I played 6/12 at Commerce last night and ran card dead for a long time, so I got bored and decided not to limp preflop unless I had to. There were two hands I raised PF where I wouldn't normally.

Hand 1: I have K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP1. UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, I RAISE, and the CO and button both cold-call. It's 5 to the flop, which is 953 with one diamond. Checked to me, I bet, they all call. Turn is the Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I bet, get 3 callers. River is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I check, everyone checks. We show down our hands -- I say "I missed my straight and missed my flush" and show K-high. Everyone nods and folds, and MHIG [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Hand 2: I have J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1. UTG limps, I raised, folded around, blinds fold too. Heads up. Flop is KTx. Check, bet, call. Turn Q. Check, bet, he folds.

2 for 2.

Unfortunately, the other PFR hands I had were obvious: AKs, QQ, TT, and AKs again. I lost with all of them. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

(Totally off-topic from this thread -- a dude sat down at the table with a copy of SSHE. I initially thought he was a devious 2+2er who was trying to make people think he was a donk while snowballing everyone with TAG play, but it quickly became clear he actually was that stupid. He played like crap; amazing that he was so open about bringing the book to the table -- he didn't even try to hide it; he lifted it up onto the felt and then made a commotion about stowing it. He lost about $200).
Old 04-28-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Totally off-topic from this thread -- a dude sat down at the table with a copy of SSHE. I initially thought he was a devious 2+2er who was trying to make people think he was a donk while snowballing everyone with TAG play, but it quickly became clear he actually was that stupid. He played like crap; amazing that he was so open about bringing the book to the table -- he didn't even try to hide it; he lifted it up onto the felt and then made a commotion about stowing it. He lost about $200).

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm dissapointed you didn't call me up because I would've drove to Commerce just to see this.

Did he ever call time and open it during a hand to see what he should do?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Small pps - I don't raise these LP, almost ever. There were a couple of times when I flopped my set on a really ragged non-broadway board and really cashed in because of the deception involved in the PF raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] How about that! Amazingly people start check raising the turn with top pair against your aggressive betting.