Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Internet Series of Poker

Granny - try to relax a little.

I think the idea is great, and I know I will be playing is some of the tournaments, but the idea that there is some irony is also shared by me.

This was not a "hot" thread, and it could be considered Spam by many - it is ironic that this would become a sticky.

However, I think most people will also agree that the idea is one of general interest - and one where more interest will be generated, so the sticky makes sense.

This does not make it less ironic however.

Good Luck (but you might want to let the others handle press conferences).

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 01:06 PM

Freudian,

your original post made perfect sense and was almost word for word the initial reaction i had received from someone close to party (not a party employee)

the initial reaction was that this series would be good for everyone *but* party. when i made some contacts at party, i was told that they would love to show support for ISOP through advertising or some other form, but really did not need the tourney. the contact at party was very supportive and actually posed the same questions.

for example, the response from the chief was "Granny, we'd love to be a part of ISOP, but are not sure if there is value in staging an actual tournament in the series, but let us know what we can do to support it."

so my response is that if they are willing to support it, then i think it would be a great idea to just go ahead and stage the event instead of just being an advertiser or sponsor.

here is the bottom line, ISOP is a tourney league that while not only open to posters, is certainly an event that was created with the 2+2 community in mind. the posters here are HEAVY party and skin players, but in the big scheme of things, the players that may try another site or three due to ISOP will undoubtedly always remain party players (i.e. ISOP is of little threat to harm party's numbers).

given the low threat that ISOP presents to party, given that staging one of the stops at party would show tremendous support for 2+2 posters, then it seems like a perfect fit and great gesture to hold an event. party has not snubbed us. there was an offer made from the *very top* to support ISOP through other ways (sponsorship etc), so we in the ISOP crew would love to see party go ahead and hold an event since they have shown support for the program anyway.

as it stands, i promised to get back to party with an answer on "how it would benefit them" along with the final detailed proposal. that is happening this week or next, and that's why i was not able to go past the 'who knows...' comment.

i was challenged to tell them how it will benefit them to be an active participating site, rather than a sponsor or advertiser. my response to them this week will be an echo of what i have just posted about it being a great gesture to the community here, and could not hurt their bottom line or marketing plans due to the fact that they have grown to such levels. since ISOP could never really hurt party and skins, then why NOT make a bunch of 2+2ers happy. seems like nothing but EV+, and as a matter of fact, we would LOVE to see them host the first event.

your original comments were very intuitive Freudian, and within a week to 10 days we will see exactly what role party will play. let's hope it is one of a tourney host, but we are proud that they want to support us in some form. it is only the form that is yet to be determined.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:47 PM

Granny,

When you speak again with party poker officials, you should use the "steal their thunder" concept, a concept party poker officials are well familiar with.

Remember when paradise poker was the top site in online poker? Then Party came along and stole their thunder thru the use of smart marketing and by offering many new-at-the-time games and options to poker players, such as tournaments, PL and NL games, etc.

Now that party is the number one site, it has to continue offering new games and options to poker players to remain the number one site. If they do not join ISOP, they will be letting these other smaller sites steal their thunder by offering new games and options - ISOP - to poker players.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, you people didn't understand my Steven Punk persona, and you don't understand poor tyfromm. <sigh>

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyfromm,

You sir may be a lot of things but 1 thing that you are not of never will be is a Punk.

I may have been on sibattlecle but can not, NAY, must not allow your insolin to continue. Never ever try to pass yourself off as a Punk lest you reep the constaquence of losing your soul.

-Punk

Time passes and a thing changes yet Punk remains purched like a jeraff

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know how hard I work trying to misspell those words. High praise is welcomed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Online poker is definately a dog eat dog world for the simple reason that consumers can switch brand almost instantly and without penalty.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you might want to let the others handle press conferences

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a brilliant idea. We all know I never offend anybody. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 02:55 PM

This was not a "hot" thread, and it could be considered Spam by many - it is ironic that this would become a sticky.

This is something Mason wants to see succeed, but it's also something of general interest to the Zoo community. JEK does similar things on BonusWhores. The purpose of 2+2's forums at their root, is to promote 2+2 and 2+2's interests. It's not like Mason CrossStickied it in all the forums, he merely just stuck it up in one forum (out of how many? 30?) that it's very relevant to.

Anyone who thinks this is Spam, needs to remember that these are 2+2's forums, not our own little personal playground. If it helps 2+2, it will make "our" forum better anyways. I don't see one sticky in the IG forum about a 2+2 HQed event as Spam at all.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is really going to open the floodgates for the trolls and morons into this site

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also going to open the floodgates for said morons to be playing in more big buy-in tourneys. I think this outweighs the increase in drivel we'll pick up.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:25 PM

When you speak again with party poker officials, you should use the "steal their thunder" concept, a concept party poker officials are well familiar with.

Remember when paradise poker was the top site in online poker? Then Party came along and stole their thunder thru the use of smart marketing and by offering many new-at-the-time games and options to poker players, such as tournaments, PL and NL games, etc.

Now that party is the number one site, it has to continue offering new games and options to poker players to remain the number one site. If they do not join ISOP, they will be letting these other smaller sites steal their thunder by offering new games and options - ISOP - to poker players.

can i cut and paste this for my final email to them sav??

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

seriously, thanks for eloquently pointing out another 'take' on this.

i think party, and ALL of the sites involved in this program are the stone cold nuts. nobody has been a bigger champion and supporter of online poker than granny. NOBODY. and that's not just Paradise, it is party and all of the industry. i was playing party when they could not get a full ring game going, so i have not only supported them with my words, but also with my actions.

but, i think party is at such critical mass with all the things they offer that adding ISOP to the mix may have looked at first glance to be a nuisance. however, they did not reject the proposal immediately. the fact that they asked for us to help them understand why ISOP would be a good fit, indicates that they clearly value the 2+2 community. that means it is now our job to finish the sell. we are greatful for this opportunity and hope we can get them to look at in ways that you mentioned in your remarks.

without divulging the list of sites, i am SUPER proud of the properties that have shown interest. the list of potential year-one sponsors is a list of sites that rank the very highest on issues of integrity, support and community involvement. they also rank high on traffic (i.e. we have some very large sites that are looking like they are commited)

there are no start-ups on our list, so this means that the sites that have shown interest are *not* doing this merely to snatch customers from the competition. they are doing this because they realize that any buzz created within a community like 2+2 is a buzz that is going to be good for everyone when looking at this from a broader scope.

there simply is nothing on the internet even close to 2+2. this is not only the BEST place to come for anything poker, but it really is the ONLY place to come. our 20,000 members plus our 20,000 browsers are a force and a source.

we are a force by sheer numbers and quality and we are a source for a tremendous amount of site revenue when taken as a whole. i would venture a guess that the average 2+2er will not only contribute exponentially more in rake to poker sites, but the average 2+2er will still be playing long after the casual player has come and gone. also, how much could it actually cost them in lost business? i would maintain that it will add to their business. but even if they did not agree with the numbers i would use to support this, i don't think they would disagree with the intangible value of the goodwill that ISOP would create.

let's say a string of regular 2+2ers win a few events. do you know how much value there would be in the ensuing discussions after each event? you could not put a price on the frenzy this community creates when they decide to back it.

just ask the empire500 guy
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

for this, we should be rewarded with participation in projects like ISOP.

finally, to freudian.

you said:

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the risk of any Party player deciding to boycott Party because it doesn't promote the tour as a whole enough would be close to zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? who the F said anything even remotely like this? of course nobody would boycott party over deciding not to be involved! we would not want that!

your credibility on contributing here just took a nose dive with that melodramatic statement. why would you even suggest something that smacks of adversity? have you been trolling all along here?

yes freudian, i realize that nobody will boycott any site that turned us down. for you to suggest that is even how we think makes you a trouble maker imo.

boycott??

R
O
F
L

(sorry homer)
Old 12-20-2004, 07:07 PM

Hey there, I heard about this whole ISOP deal a few days ago but only took time today to read through this thread and I have to say I'm thrilled! I myself don't have the bankroll right now to pay for a $1k tournament without sattelites. But nonetheless if this proves to be as successful as I hope it will be, I will be thrilled to watch every single event.

Now I assume you guys have thougt of the potential problems of having thousands of people logging on simultaneously to watch a final table at the ISOP, so instead I'īll ask this:

A large portion in the enjoyment of watching events such as WPT and WSOP on the TV is you recognize a lot of the players, and can follow them through multiple events and see how they do over the course of a year or so. With internet poker, people could be using different usernames for different sites, and of course a player can be totally anonymous if he so wishes. Will it be in the interest of you guys (as I assume you will be managing this whole apparatus somehow?) to encourage players to have their real life name available to the public? Or do you not consider this to be a very interesting point as most of the people "in the game" will know anyway who everyone of the top players are?