Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Tell?

[ QUOTE ]

But if you are looking at your cards when the flop hits, you can't see how other players are reacting to the flop, and you miss tells from others, whether you give one off yourself or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 5-10 and 10-20, I am wasting my time looking for tells.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, you should be able to pick up loads of tells at those levels.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you value tells at this level over identifying the people at the table who have no idea what they are doing, then in my opinion your priorities are out of order.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Niss - Mostly I don't pick up tells by watching people when they look at their own cards for the first time, or when they see any of the board cards for the first time - but every once in a while I'll see a tell. It's very subtle when I do, maybe just a flicker and then gone, but my read is invariably correct and either saves me a bet or two or earns me a bet or two.

Not a big deal, I suppose, except that it's genuinely fun to spot one. Very satisfying.

I'm not counting the obvious tells from hams who act weak when strong or strong when weak. Sometimes these creeps check when it isn't their turn and then bet when it is, or act depressed or angry when they hold the nuts. I'm not talking about those obvious attempts to deceive. You really don't have to be looking very carefully to pick up that phoney stuff.

However, you do have to be watching your opponent to see that inadvertent shadow of a twitch. (I suppose you could be tricked by opponents faking the twitch, but since they want you to see it, the fake is usually slightly more than a shadow and lasts slightly longer than the microsecond the real twitch lasts).

It can be in the eyes or the hands - just the shadow of a twitch.

But you do have to be watching.

Buzz
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you value tells at this level over identifying the people at the table who have no idea what they are doing, then in my opinion your priorities are out of order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said anything about valuing one over the other. Once you know who plays what way, you can also pick up additional information as to how strong are they now, or what kind of hand they are holding.

It's one plus the other, not one or the other. At those levels, which I am fairly familiar with, many players are an open book.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can be in the eyes or the hands - just the shadow of a twitch.

But you do have to be watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, sometimes you might not get much, but other times you can get some pretty strong reads. Overall, it can add quite a bit of value.

Don